:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-Five

The rest of that night and Saturday passed by quickly, but the image of the smoky eyed man never left my mind. The scene played over and over again in my head, never giving me more than a little while to think of something else. Vincent knew something was up, but I couldn’t bring myself to say anything to him. There was something holding me back… Maybe the thought that Vincent would go snap the neck of anyone who made me uncomfortable. Fortunately though, after Vincent beat Kai at bowling, Vincent had at least become a little more courteous to Kai. Although that was most likely due to his smugness. Whatever the reason, it was still an improvement. At least they wouldn’t be at each other’s throats like Jake and Vincent.

Sunday morning I was up bright and early. As a result of my constant pestering, Sebastian had managed to get the day off to come down and play in the human world. He, Fiona, and Joel were supposed to show up sometime before eleven. That gave me more than enough time to shower and get ready, but I was too excited to stay asleep. So I clambered out of my four-poster, placed my feet on the freezing floor, and head to Vincent’s room to wake him up.

The rest of the house was silent as I trudged toward the guest room. My parents had both already left for the day— my dad to work, my mom to her morning sewing class. Jake had gone fishing with his friends, leaving the house to Vincent and myself. Which was good, because I wanted Vincent to make breakfast for me. I wouldn’t admit it to my dad, but Vincent could cook much better than him. In fact, Vincent was the best cook I’ve ever met.

I slipped into the guest room, not bothering to knock. He was pretty much dead asleep on his bed. Grinning a little bit, I tiptoed to his bedside, trying to decide what to do. One choice was to just shake him awake, but that would be boring. My next thought was to jump on him, but that was too immature. Maybe scaring him would work…

“What are you doing?”

A surprised gasp left my lips as Vincent stared up at me, his eyes narrowed and bleary.             “I-I didn’t know you were up,” I responded, dropping my eyes in embarrassed.

“I wasn’t fully up until you came in.”

“But I was being quiet!”

            He pointed to his ear. “Sensitive hearing.”

            “Oh,” I said dumbly. How could I have forgotten?

            “Go away now,” he ordered, rolling over and pulling the comforter over his head. “It’s too early to talk.”

            I frowned. “It’s eight o’clock.”

            “My point exactly.”

            “Come on Vincent,” I started, taking a fistful of the covers and beginning to pull them back off him, “time to get up.”

            “No,” he growled, holding them firmly in place.                                                                        Was he really going to act like a five year old? Sighing, I went for a different approach: shaking him. Moving my hands to his shoulders, I began to joggle him.             He let out an annoyed groan and tried to shove my hands away. “Vincent,” I protested, clinging to his shoulders tighter. “Come on, get up!”

            “I’m a vampire. Creature of the night,” he responded irately.

            “And I’m hungry.”

            He popped his head out from his blanket, a confused expression on his face. “What?”

            I gave him a pleading look. “Make me breakfast?”