:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-Three

When Vincent finally drove us home, I felt a lot better about the whole ordeal than I had at first. The movie was awesome- definitely more fun than school could ever be. I didn't even care that I skipped anymore. In fact, I had no qualms about skipping school for the rest of my life. Well, no. That was a lie. I wanted to do something with my life. But I wasn't against skipping every now and again with Vincent. 

"I'm home!" I shouted as Vincent and I walked through the front doors. 

My brother appeared out of nowhere, leaning against the kitchen doorframe, his arms crossed. "Where did you two go?" 

"Movies," Vincent responded the same time I said, "Walmart." 

He shot me an amused glance while I scowled at him. 

My brother frowned. "Emily, you've never skipped school before, so you obviously weren't the instigator here. Which means..." He narrowed his eyes at Vincent. "You're the problem." 

"Guilty," Vincent said flatly. 

"You can't force Emily to skip school!" 

"How did you even find out?" I interjected, furrowing my eyebrows. 

His narrowed eyes turned to me. "Why aren't you more upset about this? And the reason I know is because we have study hall together, remember?" 

Oops. That had totally slipped my mind. "Uh..." 

"You can get suspended for this, you know," he continued, talking to both of us now. 

Vincent snorted. "I don't care." 

"You should! If you don't clean up your act, you're getting sent back to California!" 

"No I'm not." 

My brother looked at him in disbelief. "Who do you think is allowing you to stay here?" 

"Allow? I think you mean forcing-" 

"We got it, Jake," I snapped, sending Vincent a warning look. "We won't skip again." 

Jake still didn't look satisfied. "I'm worried about you, Em. This guy seems to be a bad influence." 

I stole a glance at Vincent. Seems to be? More like is. "Er, well..." 

"I'm disappointed in you." 

"I tricked her," Vincent told him in a hard voice. "She let me drive and I decided I didn't want to go back to school. It wasn't like she could stop me since I was driving." 

Jake gave him a disapproving look. "I knew you were no good." 

"Oh my god, Jake, shut up," I said, putting my hands on my hips. "What is your deal?" 

"My deal is that I don't want my little sister being hurt by some jerk," he replied, turning back to me. 

I softened my look. "I'm not little anymore... And Vincent wouldn't hurt me." I hope, I added silently. Who knew what could happen with him. Joel had lost control before. Couldn't Vincent? 

"Whatever. You still don't trust guys like him." 

"Like me?" Vincent repeated, looking half amused, half annoyed. 

Jake nodded. "Handsome? Jerk? A suave voice? Your sense of style? You have the makings of a total player." 

I covered my mouth to hide my smile. "Wow, Jake. You think he's handsome? Should I be worried you might fall for him?" 

"No!" my brother cried, looking repulsed at even the thought. "No way!" 

Vincent smirked. "Sorry to disappoint, Josh, but I like girls."