:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Thirty-Seven

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Vincent froze, bringing us both to a halt. My eyes went over his shoulder, where Luca and Joel were standing. Slowly, Vincent turned around, setting me onto the ground. When he caught sight of Joel, he narrowed his eyes. “Joel?”

“S’up, Vivi?” Joel responded, waving. “How’s life?”

Vincent stared flatly at him. “Where did you come from? Are you really stupid enough to not notice what’s going on?”

He frowned. “You’re the stupid one.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You can’t figure it out?” Luca said, rolling his eyes. “You’re a lot dumber than you look. Emily figured it out quickly.”

Vincent turned to me. “Figured what out?”

“Joel’s on their side. He’s been on their side all along,” I told him quietly, squeezing his arm. “He was the traitor, Vincent.”

Shock passed across Vincent’s face before his expression turned to complete rage. “You asshole!” he spat at Joel. “Come over here so I can tear your head off!”

Joel feigned a scared look, holding his hands in front of his face. “Please don’t hurt me, Vivi!”

Vincent easily pushed me to the side. “You’re going down.” Out from nowhere, he produced a stake.

“Wait!” I cried, but it was too late. He’d already lunged at Joel.

Luca took a step away from them, letting their fight begin. It was hard watching the two attack each other— after all, even thought it may not have seemed like it, they’d been best friends. Vincent definitely cared about the blonde.

“You’ve always been a better fighter than me, Vivi!” Joel called, stumbling backwards as Vincent swung out his fist, the stake clenched in it.

“How do I know that’s not an act too?”

“You’re getting sharper!”

“You’re a fucking bastard,” Vincent growled.

A heavy sigh came from behind me, making me gasp in surprise. Twisting around, I came face-to-face with Ashton. Anger boiled up inside me and I swung my fist out at him, landing a hit on his jaw. He winced slightly, but otherwise seemed unaffected. My fist, on the other hand, throbbed painfully, but I wasn’t going to let him know that. It felt like I’d punched a brick wall.

“Are you angry? You had to do that to Sebastian,” he told me calmly, taking a step forward.

I took a step back. “I didn’t do anything.”

“I do believe you were holding the stake.”

“I didn’t kill him,” I said through gritted teeth.

He cocked an eyebrow. “You shoved that stake right through his heart. It’s okay though, Emily. He needed to die.”

My heart lurched in my chest. “You need to die!” I retorted, clenching my fists. “You’ll pay for what you did. You’ll never become King. You’ll burn in hell.”

He laughed. “Hell? You expect me to believe such a silly thing like that? Don’t think I’m that foolish. Hell is a silly mortal idea.”

As he continued to advance toward me, I carried on moving backward. We were slowly closing in on Sebastian’s body. The sound of Joel and Vincent fighting met my ears— slander being thrown, the sound of rustling clothing, and swearing. Ashton glanced at them briefly, an amused smile on his face. “I see they wasted no time in getting at it. Poor Vincent. He must feel so betrayed.”