Chapter 13 - The Atmosphere's Tense

I know I said I wasn't going to upload for a few days, but I decided since I didn't really want to give up writing and I needed a break from revision so I decided to carry on. I just have too many idea bubbling up inside my head - it gets confusing at school because I'll randomly think of a plot twist for this book when I'm meant to be doing maths or something - and I just want you guys, who make this all worthwhile, not hate me for updating slowly. 

So onwards with the story :D

Drarry

Chapter 13 - The Atmosphere's Tense

Harry didn't look back to see if Malfoy had followed after him; he didn't dare to. Why was Malfoy's patronus a stag? I couldn't have been for the same reason that Snape's patronus took the form of a doe - like Harry's mother's - after all Snape had been in love with her ... and there was no way that Malfoy was in love with him ... Although it was stange to say in the least. Harry couldn't keep his mind thinking about anything other than Draco, because the stag always came walking back in his mind if he tried to surpress it for too long. 

He felt as if he was going mad by the time he arrived back in the common room and didn't reply as Hermione and Ron greeted him. They looked at each other as Harry walked past towards the dormitories - his face as white as a sheet. Hermione was about to follow after him, when Ron placed a hand on her shoulder. 

"I'll go," he muttered, standing up and following after Harry as he made his way upstairs. 

When he reached Harry's bed, he found him sitting beside the window as he liked to do when he was feeling stressed. Sighing, Ron sat down on the bed and watched him carefully. Harry hadn't even acknowledged Ron's presence in the room as he continued to stare out over the dark lake and rolling hills. His mind was still whirring. Malfoy - the equal look of surprise on the blonde boy's face - the shocked expression that had filled his eyes. Everything. It just kept whirring, round and round like a washing machine on a constant cycle, making it difficult to focus on anything else. 

"Harry?" Ron asked finally, sliding onto the floor beside the window ledge. "Are you alright?" 

"Why?" Harry whispered, his voice barely audiable. 

"What?" 

"WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME?" Harry snapped, resting his head in his knees, not daring to look up at Ron - who he was sure was wearing an expression that portrayed his confusion. 

"I don't understand."

There it is, Harry mused, smiling slightly. Ron never grasped on to anything very quickly, but never seemed bothered by anything in particular, except when it came to Hermione. Why couldn't Harry have a simple life like him? Why did Harry have to be the one where everything rested purely on his shoulders and he just couldn't afford to make mistakes? Why did Malfoy have to have a patronus as a stag? It just added to the confusion and mixed emotion he felt. 

"Harry?"

"WHAT?" he snapped, looking up quickly - his neck cracking as he jerked his head up. Ouchhe thought as he rubbed a hand over where it hurt. "What could you possibly need from me, Ron?"

Ron looked slightly taken aback - almost hurt - as Harry snapped at him. The hurt expression changed instantly and he frowned, a crease appearing in his forehead. "I just came to see what was wrong," he spat, standing up. 

"Why? Why did you bother?"

"I don't know, maybe because you're my friend?"

"Friend?" Harry snorted. "Yeah right, some friend you are. You hate my guts because Ginny's pregnant _" Ron looked as if he was about to object, but Harry held up a hand - silencing him. "Don't bother trying to cover it; I can tell you still blame me."

"If I still blamed you, I wouldn't be talking to you."

"Rubbish," Harry snarled - he didn't know why he was getting so angry. Ron hadn't even done anything. 

Sighing, Ron threw his hands up in exasperation and glared coldly at his friend. "You're a real git sometimes, Harry," he mumbled, before retreating back downstairs to where Hermione was waiting for him. 

*   *   * 

Draco walked numbly back to his common room, just thinking. Thinking about the test tomorrow, the Quiddich match coming up at the weekend, Potter - wait?! Potter? Draco shook his head furiously, his jaw clenching as he sped up. Why was Potter appearing in his thoughts? They weren't even friends, so why was he there? 

He almost growled in frustration as he marched into the common room - pushing a couple of lower years off the sofa and onto the floor. He flopped down onto the leather chair, closing his eyes, only to notice that he was being watched. 

"Scram!" he hissed at the two lower years, who still were hanging around the seat. "This is my chair."

"We were here first," said the girl, crossing her arms stubbornly.

"I'm older than you, better than you, and just supierior, need I go on?" Malfoy snapped, watching closely as the girl processed everything. He just wanted her to leave. "Didn't anyone ever teach you to respect your elders? Shoo."

Reluctantly, the two off them ran off, leaving Draco alone to his thoughts. He closed his eyes, when suddenly he felt someone kiss his lips delicately. He almost gagged at the wet-slobbery kiss he was recieving, but only opened one eye. He was too preoccupied to even deal with Pansy. 

"Hey Draco," she mumbled, kissing the underside of his jaw. 

"Get off me," he snapped, pushing her away. "I want to be alone."

"But, Draco, I can make you feel better."

"ALONE!" he snapped, turning away. 

What was so difficult for her to understand about that? God, she made him so mad. He didn't see what Blaise saw in her. She was just purely annoying. 

He closed his eyes and lay thinking for a while of the previous events. It was strange the way Potter reacted. It pained him to say that the abrupt exit had been quite painful. And the look of alarm on his face when he had seen Draco's patronus kept creeping up into his thoughts. 

He eventually drifted off, just lying on the leather sofa, his mind occupied with thoughts of Potter. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Right, I know this chapter isn't the most interesting in the world, but I wanted you to just see an insight into what the two boys are feeling at this point. The story will pick up pace soon, but I have plenty of ideas to keep writing, so bear with me. Thanks. 

Remember to keep voting and commenting. Thank you guys :D x