Chapter 46

Edited 10/01/2020

Third Person's POV

"Are you sure that you still remember the way Ashley-chan?" Naruto questions dubiously. "We've been walking for ages now! It all looks the same to me."

"It's a forest Naruto" Sakura sighs. "Of course it all looks the same."

"So how do you know where we're going then?" Naruto presses, walking after Ashley with his hands folded behind his head.

".....The Temple is at the highest point of the island" Ashley explains quietly, feeling too anxious to get annoyed by Naruto's pestering. "It doesn't matter which way we go through the forest, as long as we head towards that point."

"Well, how do you know where the highest point is then?" Naruto asks, to which Sasuke heaves a sigh this time.

"Would you shut up already?" he asks rhetorically, sending his blonde teammate an irritated scowl.

"I'm just trying to make sure that we're not going in the wrong direction!" Naruto defends himself. "No offence Ashley-chan!"

"Seriously Naruto" Shikamaru complains from further back in the group. "Don't you think that out of all of us, Ashley would know the way?"

Ashley can't help sweat dropping at that comment. Despite walking at the front of the group and leading the way, she very well could be going the wrong way. Sure, Ashley had lived here as a kid, but that didn't mean she could recall every tree and rock she walked past. They had headed off in the right direction almost two hours ago though and the terrain had begun to climb uphill, so Ashley was taking that as a sign that they were heading to the right place.

"Well duh Shikamaru" Naruto mocks, turning to glare at the Nara with a peeved expression on his face. "But she hasn't been here for ages, so she could get us lost."

"I can smell the ocean" Kiba speaks up helpfully, to which Akamaru barks his agreement. A faint salty scent now hung in the air, mixing with the earthiness of the forest.

"If I remember correctly, the Temple was on the edge of a cliff overhanging the ocean, right?" Kakashi recalls, looking to the back of Ashley's head as she nods a confirmation.

Suddenly, the girl stops however, her body tensing up. She turns her head slightly to the right as everyone comes to a halt behind her, wondering what the problem is.

Kiba sniffs the air again and wrinkles his nose in distaste, eyes narrowing in the same direction that Ashley is looking.

"Ashley" Kakashi address, "What's the ma-"

"Greetings Leaf Ninja!" a male voice calls out, causing everyone to turn and look towards it.

Four men wearing uniforms and carrying various weapons step out of the trees, serious expressions on their faces. Ashley grits her teeth into a snarl and glares up at the men as they approach, holding back a growl. The lead man stares down at her as the group stops in front of the Leaf Ninja, his face steely.

They were Sirius' men and Ashley didn't like them one bit. Not to mention, she didn't want the soldiers knowing where they were all heading. Who knows what sort of drama that would spark.

"You must be Lord Sirius' men" Kakashi responds, immediately walking forwards and stepping between Ashley and the newcomers. "I'm Kakashi Hatake."