Chapter 72

If you're new here, and are wondering why all of the chapters from here on have less views, votes, comments etc than the previous 71 chapters, that's because the original version of TWI actually finished on 71 chapters.

This new, (hopefully) improved version extends beyond that, purely because I didn't like how the old one ended. In my opinion, given the rewrite, there was still more story to tell.

Ashley's POV

I stop in my tracks and stare straight ahead, my shoulders drooping and the already dark expression on my face falling even further.

Clearly waiting for me, I see that aggravating ANBU leaning against a tree with her arms crossed, her masked face slowly turning towards me. I immediately feel myself bristle as she looks to me, though she doesn't move from her position.

My nerves feel as tightly wound as a spring right now. I hate to say it, but if she even takes one step towards me, there's a high chance I may just run away out of instinct. I'm not scared of her exactly, but I don't even know who she is and she's already attacked me once.

Who's to say she won't do anything worse next time?

"That is her Milady?" Ace asks, a note of irritation in his usually emotionless voice.

"That's her" I confirm flatly, not moving at all, as the ANBU and I stare at each other.

"I have a good mind to burn her to the ground" Ace growls, his ears laying back.

I had summoned Ace last night to tell him about what had happened to me, and he had been livid to say the least. He'd wanted to kill both Lady Tsunade and this ANBU for what they had done, and he hadn't quite decided on if Kakashi needed to be punished or not.

Ace had insisted however, that he accompany me to this suspicious training session today so he could monitor the situation. I had only been too happy to agree of course, feeling more confident with my Guardian beside me.

That isn't to say that I don't feel an uncomfortable sense of foreboding deep in my chest right now however. I'd rather be almost anywhere than here right now.

"You're late" the ANBU suddenly informs me, her voice making me jump.

My brows furrowing and my mouth pulling down into a scowl, I slowly begin walking towards the woman, being sure not to take my eyes off of her. I have my Katsuryoku activated already as well, in case she makes any sudden movements or pulls any tricks. It's not often that I have it activated whilst in the Village if I'm not training, but I don't trust this ANBU at all and I feel like I need to be as prepared as I possibly can for a sudden attack.

"It's only just after seven" I eventually reply, coming to a stop a good twenty or so metres away from the ANBU, Ace right beside me.

"I said seven o'clock sharp" the woman reminds me, pushing away from the tree and turning to face me, though she doesn't approach. "Who is this? Kakashi's report did mention that you could summon Wolves."

"Who are you first of all?" I demand to know, ignoring the mention of a report for the time being. "You've attacked me, threatened me into training with you and now you want to know who he is? Why don't you introduce yourself?"

".....He did also mention an attitude" the woman seems to smirk behind her mask, something that irritates me further. "As I'm sure you can tell, I'm an active member of the ANBU Black Ops. You can call me by my codename, Kyoku.