Chapter 17

Edited 14/04/2015

Naruto's POV

I stand perfectly still in the cool river water, eyeing off the little fish swimming around me unknowingly. A small number of my Shadow Clones remain poised on the river bank, ready to leap in at my command.

"Mmmm....." I murmur hungrily, squinting down at the water as some of the fish swim close, raising my hand.

"Breakfast time!" my clones shout, leaping into the water. "Bombs away!"

I begin laughing as we all splash around loudly, with Sasuke rolling his eyes on the river bank. He remains ready though, a few kunai in hand.

As I swim after two fish, I notice Ashley watching on boredly from a boulder protruding up out of the river bank. She leans her chin in her hand, looking like she wished she could be somewhere else.

She's been awfully quiet since our run in with those Sound Ninja, and I'm beginning to wonder if she's alright. Maybe she's just tired from all the fighting she did?

I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't get to see her fight at all, because Sakura said she turned out to be really good! Sasuke didn't say too much about it, but I'd hardly expect him to acknowledge when someone is good......Why did I have to be unconscious dammit?!

I was pretty surprised when Sakura hugged Ashley and thanked her for saving us though, because I always thought Ashley hated us......Maybe she's not as bad she seems to be?

Tailing right behind three fish now, I reach out and nab them by the tails, before jumping up out of the water. I fling the three fish towards Sasuke, falling back into the river and sucking in a deep breath as I crane my neck to keep my face out of the water.

Sasuke flings his kunai knives at the fish, pinning them to a nearby tree, when he lets out a sigh and glares at me.

"Come on Naruto" he complains, "We only got three. Go and catch some more!"

"What?!" I exclaim incredulously. Does King Sasuke think he could do a better job? These little fish are quick and hard to catch!

"Pfffttt" Sasuke scoffs. "I could eat three of these all by myself. Hurry up, it's not that difficult."

"If you think it's so easy" I shout back pointedly, waving my arms around and splashing the water, "Then why don't you jump in the water and I'll just stand around on the shore!"

"Hey!" Ashley suddenly barks, making me freeze and slowly turn my head. I see her rubbing at her eye, mouth pulled down into a frown. "You got water in my eye Naruto...."

A chill runs up my spine. The last thing I want to do is annoy Ashley. She's even scarier than Sakura-chan......

"Uhhh, I'm really sorry Ashley!" I apologise hastily, hoping I won't get punched or have anything thrown at me. "I wasn't watching what I was doing! I was just mad at Sasuke coz he's being a lazy jerk, so really this is all his fault and if you're gonna be mad at anyone here, it should be hi-"

"I'm not mad Naruto" Ashley interrupts me with a sigh. "Forget it."

I close my eyes and let out a sigh as well, though mine is full of relief. At least I'm not going to have to run for my life this time....

"Hey Sasuke!" I hear Sakura call from our camping spot. "I've set up a fireplace, so could you please come and light it?"

"We still have to catch more fish though...." Sasuke mutters in annoyance, shaking his head and grabbing onto the bridge of his nose as he turns around. "I've gotta do everything around here...."