Chapter 67

Third Person's POV

Tsunade stares at the young blonde girl reluctantly standing before her, her back leaning against the far wall, arms crossed and brows knit together.

The Hokage hadn't initially thought she'd even have to ask Ashley about going on this mission, thinking the girl would have been eager to go, but she certainly hadn't expected to have to try and convince her to go.

".....I'm confused as to why you're so blatantly refusing to go" Tsunade comments, to which Ashley lets out a low breath, clearly struggling to control her annoyance.

"I already told you" the girl repeats, for what feels like the hundredth time, "He doesn't want to be stopped. Seeing as Sakura ran here to tell you this as soon as she woke up, I was fine with telling you what I know, but I'm not going on this mission. It's pointless."

"He's your cousin" Tsunade points out, raising one brow when Ashley turns to her with an angry expression.

"I'm well aware of-"

"You wanted to see me?" Shikamaru accidentally interrupts, opening the door to the Hokage's office and stepping inside. He blinks in surprise, noticing Ashley standing not too far from him. "Ashley? What're you doing here?"

"Ask her" comes the short reply, Ashley stabbing one finger in Tsunade's direction.

"Come in Shikamaru" Tsunade says pleasantly, despite the vein throbbing on the side of her head. She'd already had enough of Ashley's stubborn attitude this morning.

Puzzled by Ashley's clear irritation and wondering why he had suddenly been summoned to the Hokage's office, Shikamaru closes the door behind him and approaches Tsunade's desk.

"I've decided that it's time for you to lead your first mission as a Chunin" the Hokage announces, something that makes Shikamaru's eyebrows raise slightly, his hands in his pockets.

"Alright....." the Nara agrees, speaking slowly. He was still suspicious as to what this had to do with Ashley and, perhaps more concerningly, that poor attitude of hers. "So, what's the mission?"

Tsunade sighs quietly, leaning forwards in her chair and resting her elbows on her desk, hands folded in front of her mouth.

"Late last night" the woman explains seriously, "Sasuke Uchiha left the Village in secret."

"Left?" Shikamaru repeats, frowning a little. "As in, left on a secret mission or-"

"He abandoned us" Ashley interjects coldly, glaring at the floor, her nails digging into her arms.

"What?" Shikamaru asks incredulously, turning to look at Ashley. "He just....left? What for?"

Ashley briefly glances up at Shikamaru, before abruptly turning her head away, her teeth gritted tightly together. It had only been a moment, but Shikamaru had seen the pain behind those burning eyes. Clearly, Ashley was torn up about it.

"Sakura reported it to me very early this morning" Tsunade continues, "And I summoned Ashley here not too long ago to confirm, and she was able to provide me with further information. It seems, that Sasuke is going to Orochimaru."

"Huh?" Shikamaru exhales, eyes widening. "Wait, that doesn't make any sense. What on earth would Sasuke go to someone like Orochimaru for? Willingly?"

"Apparently" Tsunade says carefully, her caramel eyes drifting over to Ashley, "Sasuke is seeking power to get revenge on his older brother. He believes that Orochimaru will be able to give him the power that he wants."