Chapter 31

Edited 21/07/2017

Ashley's POV

I roll my shoulder a little, the sling holding my arm digging into my neck, as I look out of my bedroom window and peer up at the solemn sky.

'It's going to rain' I think mildly, releasing a low sigh.

I turn away from the window and approach my wardrobe, using my free hand to awkwardly pull out a plain black dress. I drop it onto my bed and stare at it for a few moments, feeling strangely morose.

I wish the sun had shone today, to cast at least a little happiness on the day's proceedings.

I struggle with my clothes for awhile, still not used to getting dressed with only one arm working. I'd been to the hospital as soon as we had gotten back to the Leaf Village a couple of days ago and the Medics had done a really good job healing me.

They told me the break in my arm had been a clean one and it wouldn't be too difficult for them to fix up. While the Medics had healed me for the most part, they'd still advised me to not use my arm for at least a week.

I can move my fingers and everything, but my arm still aches a lot and moving it too much, or having it bumped can be a bit painful. At least Gaara's sand hadn't crushed my bones, like it had done to Lee.

"Are you ready Milady?" Ace asks, poking his head in through my door.

"Yeah" I reply with a nod, walking over to my Wolf. "We'd better get going. The others will be waiting."

"I still don't understand why you're wearing that" a voice barks meanly from the living room.

"Because its a funeral dear" I hear Rei answer brightly. "It's traditional to wear black to a funeral."

Rolling my eyes, I appear in the doorway and give my Pack a flat look.

"I hope you're all going to behave today" I tell the Wolves seriously. "You never met the Hokage, but he gave us a home here when he didn't have to. He could have thrown us out, or even in prison you know."

"We know Milady" Rei says with a smile, a black scarf tied prettily around her neck. "We promise to be on our best behaviour today. By the way, Ace dear? Do you like my scarf at least? Kai thinks it may be a little much for the occasion."

"Of course dear" Ace answers monotonously, looking at his mate with a blank expression. "You make anything look lovely."

"Oh, how sweet Ace dear!" Rei squeaks with delight, her fluffy tail wagging at the compliment.

"Milady?" Chi asks, sitting on my couch with his head tilted and his face screwed up in thought. "What's a.....a....funeral anyway?"

"It's where we pay our respects and mourn for someone who has died" I explain, realising that, seeing as we had all lived in the Land of Ambience, Chi had never experienced a funeral before.

"So, will we be burning a body and setting it free in the ocean then?" Chi queries, still looking confused. "Why do we have to wear black?"

"This isn't like what we did at home Chi" I sigh faintly, not really wanting to think about the traditions of my homeland. "Today the Hokage's body will be buried in the ground, in a coffin. His ashes won't be released over the ocean."