Chapter 1

"The amount of electrons and protons in an atom will always be the same and can be located in the top right hand side of your element's box,  but in order to find the correct amount of neutrons for your given element, you must take the atomic number and..." blah, blah, blah...

I hate chemistry. I really don't know why I took it in the first place.

I was laying on my bed, attempting to do the study guide for our exam next week. But, this stuff is just so boring that I just can't concentrate. 

I sighed and closed my book, giving up for the night. I looked at my clock. 5:07 PM. It was a Wednesday evening and it was May 5. I'm so stressed. Exams start on Monday and go until Friday. I've been staying up until past 11:00 every night just to study.

I have eleven days. Eleven days until freedom.

I don't mean it like all of the other kids below me are saying. They are three weeks away from freedom. They get to have a two and a half month break and come right back to school. Well, not me. I'm eighteen now. I'm a senior, and I certainly don't plan on coming back to high school. 

Next week is exams. Next Friday is prom, and once again, I have no date. 

Well, not exactly "once again." Last year I had a last minute date, thanks to my best friend, Louis. 

But, this year, I'm lonely. Sure, I was asked by a few guys, but none of them interest me. Oh, well. I'm just not going to go to prom. I'll stay in my room and watch movies for the night, or something. 

After next week...it's graduation. That's a scary thought. I graduate the Monday after prom. I'm pretty much freaking out. Am I nervous? No. I'm excited, because once I'm out of high school, I'm leaving LA. I'm so sick of it. 

A lot of people wonder how someone can get sick of LA. Well, it's pretty easy for me. Sure, there are beaches with hot guys, celebrities...but I don't care. It gets tiring. I'm so sick of everything, and I just want to leave as soon as I possibly can.

What will I do after high school? I don't know. I may or may not go to college. I may just travel for a year...go see Louis. 

After all of this thinking about Louis, I decided to call him. I picked up my phone and hit his contact name, "Lou." 

Unfortunately, all I got was, "Hey, it's Louis's BEST FRIEND here, Joslynn! Louis is too busy probably hanging out with me or buying me wonderful gifts, so leave a message and he may just call you back!" I said. "HARRY, PUT SOME CLOTHES ON," Liam shouted in the background. "Well, anyway, leave him a message...if you really think it's the best thing to do...although I wouldn't advise it."

I laughed a bit at the memory. It was from about a year ago. I just decided that Louis's voice mail was too boring, so I sparked it up a bit. 

I decided not to leave him a message. I just hung up and decided to call my mom. After a few rings, she finally picked up. "Hey, mom," I sighed into the phone. 

"Hey, sweetie, how was school?" she asked in her normal, high-pitched, sweet tone. 

"It was alright, I guess. Just doing lots of exam prep, so nothing too exciting is happening," I said into the phone while looking at my nails. I really needed to repaint them.

"Well, that's good that you're getting a lot of preparation in. You'll need all you can get. But, anyway, have you gotten a date for prom yet?" she asked. Typical question. 

My mom wants me to go to prom really badly and have a picture perfect night. But, I doubt that's going to happen.

I sighed and said, "I don't think I'm going to go."