Chapter 16 - Footballs & Forgotten Things

Unedited, sorry

############################################################

Forgetting things can be really frustrating, especially when it's something important. And the longer you can't remember the longer you it eats away at your mind. And what makes it worse is the fact that you know that you have forgotten something but you don't know what it was that you forgot.

But that's only forgetting something. So imagine how it feels like to forget everything.

Because I did.

And I promise you that it is the worse feeling in the world, because it wasn't just forgetting to do something, but forgetting what you've done,  who you knew and even who you are. 

It was a late summer night when it all happened.

I was driving back home with my father after a long day of activities. My dad was only in the country every few months as his job caused him to have to travel around the state a lot. He would usual only be able to stay with our family for a  few of months and during school holidays which meant we had to make the most of our time together when he was with us. After crab-fishing, going on the pier and going out to sea by paddling boat (which scared me half to death) we were on our way home. My mum and brother were already home since Diego had a soccer game to attend to and I wanted to spend more time at the beach.

So here we were cruising down the high way with the hood of my father’s car open feeling the breeze sweep through my hair.

“So in a couple of months you’ll be a sophomore…” my father started

He was right well kind of; in three months I was going to be starting my second year of high school. Both excitement and nerves stirred in my stomach. Finally I wouldn’t be at the bottom of the Hemsley High food chain, I wouldn’t have as high a status as a junior or senior but it was much better than being a freshman. Most of us were walked all over by the older years but being friends with Nyah Sanders did mean that it happened a lot less than it used to. Obviously that wasn’t the real reason why we became friends a few months ago it was because we had so much in common, I had never found anyone who I had had more in common with and that was saying something as I was a really weird person. Also by the end of the first semester I would have my braces removed which was a relief, I swear they were the worst things in the world. Not only was I unable to drink fizzy drinks but when I say everything gets stuck in my teeth I mean everything gets stuck in my teeth, ranging from food to hair to even other people’s braces.

My first kiss was defiantly not the highlight of my year.

I couldn’t wait to be freed from the metal embarrassment stuck on my teeth. And I was definably going to update my wardrobe. At this era in time my usual outfit consisted of dungarees and a baggy top. I seriously needed to change my style.

“…which means you’re going to have to start concentrating on your studies” my dad continued.

I rolled my eyes, I didn’t need to be reminded that lessons would get harder, it’s kind of implied when you moved up the years.

“Of course, you know me daddy I always work hard” I sucked up to him

“Uh huh, that’s not what your math teacher said at parents evening two nights ago”

I resisted a groan from escaping my lips. My math teacher was a witch. I mean I had no proof but I didn’t need any. Like they say, if it looks like a witch, cackles like a witch and acts like a witch it’s probably a witch.