Chapter 40

Effrin

I sat Victoria down in my lap as I sat down in the chair that I pulled up to Sincere's bed. It's been five weeks since I killed Harlem and Candy and five weeks of Sincere being in this coma. The doctor's said she lost too much blood while Harlem and Candy had her. I gave them my blood, I did everything I could, but she's still in this damn coma.

I haven't stopped visiting her though. Me and Victoria come down here everyday and just sit here for hours, keeping Sincere company, even if she can't speak. I know she's not awake but I know she can hear everything going on around her. I just wish she'd wake up. She knows I hate hospitals but I really hate seeing her lying up in this bed everyday with all kinds of cords hooked up to her body and a bandage across her head, from when she got hit by Candy.

I looked down at Victoria, who was looking at Sincere. She turned back to me and just starred at me, like she wanted to know why Mommy was laying up in this bed. I sighed and sat back in the seat, just starring at Sincere, hoping she'd wake up today or tomorrow, sometime soon.

I hated being away from her because of my stupid decisions so I found myself slowly slipping into a depression. Every minute away from her felt like a year away from her and I couldn't handle it anymore. I needed her. I craved her and the attention she gave me. Shit, I even missed her constantly nagging me about smoking or doing some stupid shit. I just needed some type of sign, where I could know she was going to be alright because I knew the doctors would eventually come in here and tell me I need to make the decision on whether or not they should just pull the plug on her.

"Back again?"

I didn't bother turning around. That voice was all too familiar. That was the voice of the nurse who always came to check on Sincere when I was in here. "Yeah," I mumbled as she walked over to Sincere, taking her heartbeat. She looked up at me before pulling out her thermometer. She smiled and turned back to Sincere. "What?" I asked her.

She shook her head and left the thermometer in Sincere's mouth before she turned to me. "It's not often that I see somebody come in here and just wait on somebody to awake from a coma. Usually people stop bothering to come after a week or so because they know there's no hope but not you." I scoffed at what she said. She sighed and pulled the thermometer out of Sincere's mouth. "I didn't mean it like that. You're just determined, that's all," she replied, writing things down on her clipboard.

"I just don't want her to die."

"I don't think she is. She's doing a lot better than how she had been when she first got here but her tests are always good when you're in here with her. Is that her baby?" she asked, looking back at Victoria who was playing with one of her toys.

I nodded my head. "Yeah, it's our baby."

She smiled and sat on the edge of the bed, facing me. "I should have known. She looks just like you both. Can I hold her?" she asked.

I sighed and handed Victoria over to her. Now I see how Sincere felt when I got back from jail. It's been just me and Victoria for the past few weeks, nothing but the two of us, so I hated seeing other people hold her because I knew I wanted to.

She smiled and tried to grab Victoria's hands but Victoria grabbed on to her name tag before she stuck it into her mouth. The nurse, Danielle, laughed. "What's her name?"

"Victoria," I replied.

"She's beautiful."

"Thank you."

She smiled and took her name tag from out of Victoria's mouth before she handed her back over to me. "Well I need to get back to the other patients. I'll see you in a couple of hours?" she asked, standing up.