Chapter 22

Sincere

The days on my pregnancy seemed to be numbered by now. The only thing that seemed to be on my mind was getting this baby but Effrin and it seems like almost everybody else were primarily concerned about these people who've been out to get us. We've narrowed it down to just Antoine and Candy but Russel's little stunt weeks ago when he delivered the pizza's added him to the list too.

We know it's them, Effrin's just getting things organized so we can take them out, without any evidence that it was him and his crew doing it. He got us a safe house, down in Oakland that we've been staying in for about a month now. It's me, Marlon, his Mom, Lester, T and my Grandma. We didn't bother getting my Mom because she was safe up north with her husband. The only real people in danger were the one's still living down in Compton.

The safe house wasn't much of anything. Just some place where we all could stay in hiding until Effrin get's things figured out. I eventually had to tell Granny that I was pregnant, even though she already assumed based on all of the weight I had picked up on in my stomach area.

She's been upset with me but what can she do now? It's not like I was ever going to get rid of this baby, that I didn't think I was going to be able to have years ago. Who knows if I'll ever be able to have another baby after this one was born and after all of the stress the baby's been put on, I'm surprised she's still all right.

"You all right honey? You've been laying your ass up in this bed all day. You're gonna have to get up soon."

I looked up at the door and there stood Granny, looking as if she cared. "I'm just kind of tired," I replied, sitting up in the bed.

"Well I worked all of the way up until I had your Mother. I got up and went on with my life."

I sighed. "Alright well I'm just exhausted, okay? She kept me up last night kicking," I told her.

She shrugged her shoulders. "And? Live with it, you know it's going to happen."

"Why do you continue to insist on giving me a hard time Granny? I know I messed up but it's over now. I'm seven and a half months pregnant and we can't change anything now."

She sighed and looked down at my stomach. "But where's your man Sincere? Didn't you want to be married before you started popping out babies?" she asked.

"I'm not even popping out babies Granny and yeah I wanted to be married but I'm not. Effrin and I have some stuff going on with us right now that's stopping us from getting married. Just be patient."

"Look where patient got you!" she shrieked. "You're sitting up in some damn house out in the middle of no where, your man's somewhere out on the streets and you're sitting here seven and a half months pregnant, alone."

I rolled my eyes. "If you came in here just to tell me what I'm doing wrong, then get in line. I've got all of y'all coming in and out of here telling me what I'm doing wrong but nobody insists on helping me. You can leave if all you're going to do is complain about something that can't be changed now."

"Oh, so you think you can talk to me like I'm some damn fool now since you think you're a woman just because some hoodlum got you pregnant and left your ass for dead? News flash Sincere, it happens everyday and you're not always going to have somebody there to hold your hand. You're pregnant, be a fucking woman and own up to what you did," she said, getting up off of my bed. "Why don't you give that damn boy a call to see what's going on so I can get out of here?"

I sighed. "Okay Granny," I mumbled as she walked out of my room.

I rolled my eyes and sat back against my headboard. As much as I hate to admit it she did have a point but I didn't like her coming in here, accusing me of something I can't change now. Nothing can be changed now, so she really wasted her time and breath coming in here telling me that shit. I grabbed my phone from off of the dresser and called Effrin, hoping that he would answer. Almost immediately he answered the phone.