somewhere in the a.m

They stay up for hours talking things out, some of the band members that had filled the house head home, leaving Pete, Ryan and Josh with the Urie's. Amelia, still angry with Maya, stays upstairs with Piper.

"Can I get a tattoo?" Maya asks, though it's more of a statement. Brendon shrugs "Sure. Just make sure you like it, cuz' it's there for a while." she giggles, lying with her head in Pete's lap. Pete raises his eyebrows "What kinda tat are you thinking?" she stares up at Brendon, who looks back at her with curiosity.

"Heal."

Brendon takes a moment before recognition flashes across his face "Maya," he wraps his arms around her, and she hugs him back, burying her face in his shoulder. Maya pulls back from the hug a few moments later "When can I get it done?" Brendon glances at his phone, the screen displays 3:28 a.m, and Brendon thinks for a moment "C'mon, I've got some friends who run a 24 hour tattoo parlour."

Three men and four women all look up as the group enter the building "Brendon, how're you doing?" one of the men asks, and Brendon grins "I'm great," on of the women, with green highlights, smiles kindly "Want a new ink?" she glances at his arm, and he shakes his head "Nah, it's actually Maya's turn today."

Maya waves a little "Hey," another woman holds her hand out "I'm Sophia." she smiles "Maya." Brendon nods for her to sit down "Tell Sophia what you want, and she'll do a great job." Sarah glances at her own arm, and looks to the green-haired woman "So Jess, I was thinking," Sarah walks to the woman, Jess, and sits next to her, talking over her next tattoo.

Maya explains what she wants to Sophia, and she nods as Maya talks "Sounds great." Maya grins at Brendon, who's talking to Sarah while she gets her tattoo. Ryan, Pete and Josh all sit by Maya "God, it's your first tattoo," Pete turns to Ryan in a patronizing fashion "They grow up so fast." the three men continue joking around as Sophia begins tracing the tattoo onto Maya's forearm, over three conjoined scars caused by Miles, her biological father, and a hospital IV. Brendon leaves Sarah for a bit to sit next to his daughter "How's it looking." Sophia nods as she works "I think it's going to look amazing."

Sophia, when she's done, wipes over the word with a antibacterial, before wrapping it in clingwrap. Maya smiles, thanking Sophia before showing Brendon, who smiles tearily.

They arrive home closer to morning than night, and Amelia's waiting in the lounge "Where the fuck have you all been?" she asks angrily, Brendon looks to Maya, who's standing with her hip against the wall "We went out to get tatttoos." she mutters. Amelia raises her eyebrows "You got a tattoo?" Maya doesn't reply "Maya, you haven't even accepted a college offer yet but you think it's a good idea to go out at 4 a.m to get a tattoo?" she yells "You can't just let go of your life like this!" Maya glares at her "I get college is important to you, and I get you're happy doing that, and I get you've got your whole future planned out in-front of you, but I don't. I don't need that, and I don't want that. It's not important to me!" Maya holds her arm out "This," she takes a deep breath "This, is what's important to me. And if in ten years you're doing what you love and you're happy and I'm living out of people's basement, then you can come tell me that I was wrong. But as of now, I'm happy. I'm healthy. I'm safe, and I don't give a single shit about what you think of what I'm doing with my life!" Brendon and Sarah want to step in as adults, but part of them know this needs to happen, or it'll get worse "There's shit that happened that you don't know about, okay?" Maya finishes, storming out, to the studio. Amelia's left in the lounge with the others, and looks up "What'd she mean?" she asks quietly "What happened that I don't know about?" Sarah sighs, hugging her tightly "It's really not our place to say, and Maya should be the one to tell you, but she's too hurt right now. On the first full tour May went on, everything sort of-well, everything started falling apart. I was sick, and Bren wasn't doing to well, and that affected Maya. She started sneaking into the afterparties, and it went downhill from there. One night, in florida she ended up on the roof." Amelia stares back at Sarah, covering her mouth with her hand "Oh my god," Sarah hugs her again "And after the whole deal with Miles, Brendon and I were still out when she got home. She went into the bathroom, and she tried to OD, we got home only a couple of minutes after she did. That was why she was off school for those two weeks." Amelia's crying by this point, and stands, running into the studio and throwing her arms around Maya "Oh my god," she cries, and Maya hugs her back, slightly stunned. Amelia sniffs, trying to stop her crying "Mom said, you," Maya cuts her off "It was years ago. I'm okay." Amelia shakes her head "I'm sorry for being such a bitch, I'm just nervous that I'm moving all the way to Ohio. I want to go, but I don't want to leave." Maya nods, hugging her again "Everything's going to be alright." Amelia nods, wiping the tears from her face "Now show me this tattoo,"

Brendon walks in a few minutes later, to find the girls smiling, though he can tell they were both crying. He sits with them for a while, the three talk about everything and anything, before suggesting they go to bed. Maya hugs Brendon before leaving the studio, Amelia does the same. They say goodnight to everyone else, Maya picks up Penny Lane before walking upstairs. The dog happily curls up on her bed as she washes her face, climbing into bed shortly after.

a/n: wowza i've been updating house of wolves loads so that's partially where i've been for the past week or so, and this chapter took a while to finish + idk how updates are going to be for the next couple of weeks as i'm super busy with school assessment weeks and rowing/gym stuff ramping up

follow me on instagram to get petty updates on what i'm doing with my irl life: gracturner

hope you guys liked this (ps leave me some suggestions in the comments of what to do in future chapters i'm getting a bit of writer's block in this story)

grace x