Chapter | 28

28 | Restart

~ pick yourself up,
and start again.

- - -

Jenae

Jenae

I woke up to the sun shining on my face and the heavy smell of anesthetics.

I let out a little yawn and when I opened my eyes I glanced up and saw Jae asleep.

She was still sitting upright and her head was slightly tilted backwards.

I looked down at our fingers intertwined and instinctively pulled away with a jolt.

I then let out a breath when she didn't wake up and I slipped off the blanket I'm guessing she put on me and I scooted closer to cover her with it instead.

I rubbed my neck as I let out a sigh.

Too many things happened in one night.
Am I going to be able to handle all this?

Just as I thought this the doors to the OR opened as the doctor walked in.

"Josiah's surgery was a success-" He smiled and I sat up, "-Oh... Thank God."

He nodded at me before he walked back in and I turned to wake up Jae. But she was already sitting up straight.

"Are you awake?" I asked and she mumbled, "Uh... yeah I heard. Let's go."

I stood and she followed suit with the hospital blanket rolled up.

We were all waiting in the hallway for Jessica to come out of her father's room. It took her a minute before she did and I walked up first. "What's up? He good?"

"Yeah..." Jessica smiled, "He's past the dangerous stage. And the doctors all say he was very lucky."

"That's great. Don't worry too much." Essence spoke up and Jessica looked at us all, "Thanks a lot for staying so late. My daddy's friends should be here so you can all leave now if you want."

"I'm going to stay with you-" Essence said and Jess rose a brow, "-Really?"

"How could I leave you here alone?" Essence argued and Jess pouted as she looked at me with Jae. "Y'all two can go-" "-Oh... you right. I'll see yah later."

We began to walk away as Jess turned back around to face Essence.

"Do you know how many times I called your ass? You were playing games with your "niggas" weren't you?-" "-Maybe..." Essence pondered, "Uh... don't remember. I was too busy busting my ass to get here!-" "-Oh? Yeah! What took you so long then? You never there for me." Jess began to fake cry and Essence gasped.