Chapter | 2

2 | Switch Up

A nigga will switch up on you like a joke.

- - -

[ 1 year ago - ]

[ 1 year ago - ]

Jenae

That creepy ass stare left a bad taste in my mouth. Was she mad that I figured her out?

I finished washing my hands and left the girl's restroom. I began to jog down the stairs until I noticed Darien on the steps.

He was counting a stash of cash but slipped a portion of it into his jacket. I raised a brow at that and he finally noticed me, "O-Oh, aye... Jenae, right?"

"Yeah, what you doing?" I ask while eyeing the wad of cash he still had in his grasp.

"Oh, this?" He held it up amd flicked through it, "Just countin' my mula, ya' know?" He laughed before saying, "The school got me counting the money that they earned from the welcome party."

"Oh," I shrugged and kept on going. When I reached the bottom my heart almost stopped, "Shit! You scared the fuck out of me..." I mutter and Jae didn't say a word back she only stared at me.

I sucked my teeth and kept it pushing, "You're fucking weird..."

I shouldn't have talked to her like that.
That's when things began...

-

"Jenae!" A voice shouts and I looked up from my phone to be grabbed up by my collar. I stared back at Darien as his nose flared, "Ya' did it? Ya' snitched?!"

"You got four seconds to let me go..."

He gripped my shirt tighter, "Ya' did it! Posted it on Facebook and all! I got the screenshots, a'ight?! Ya' was the only one who saw me on 'em stairs!"

"I didn't do shit," I mutter while I patiently waited for him to release my shirt, "You're wrinkling my sweater."

"What you mean you ain't do it!" He snapped and Jess scowled at him, "Shut up! Just go eat some food, Baboon ass nigga! She said she ain't do it-" "-Shut the fuck up! I wasn't talkin' to you bitch!" He snapped and Jess stood up but Essence held her back, "Call me out my fucking name again! C'mon! I'll knock them crooked ass teeth down your throat!"

"Someone else was there too, alright? It wasn't me so check yourself," I shout.

"Who? Who else was there? Who?" He lashed at me just when Jae was walking in. We locked eye contact and I froze.

It's that smirk...

She wore it on her face as Darien continued to snap at me. "Ain't nobody was there but'chu! Just you!"

"Darien, calm down. Let's just talk it out." Jessica growled against her will. That was clearly Essence's effect on her.

"How could ya' stab me in the back like 'dat man! I thought we was coo'-!" "-Darien!" Jae called as she walked up to him, "Whoever posted it on Facebook isn't the wrong one. Talk with me later."

"Fuck! Man!" He shouted and he pointed at me, "This ain't over! I fuckin' swear..."

"He so damn overdramatic." Jess scoffed, "He's being so extra."

"I think you just did what you had to," Jae said towards me and I furrowed my brows. "I'll try talking to Darien to help him understand," she said and I laughed.

I stood up and mugged her from head to toe, "You kidding me? You really think I did it? You was there below the stairs."

Her demeanor shifted slightly, "What you mean-" "-You saw everything that happened! It wasn't me so who was it?!"

"How dare you? Are you trying to say Jae snitched on her own cousin?" June butts in and I hadn't even noticed her beside Jae. "She's the one who stopped them from sending him to jail! She even paid them back-" "That's enough," Jae said.

I completely ignored her existence and focused on Jae, "It really wasn't you?"

She shifted her gaze from June to me. She didn't say anything but of course she stared. She smirked for a second then walked away. June mugged the soul out of me then quickly followed after Jae.

Fucking weird...

-

I thanked the cashier after purchasing my favorite caramel latté from the Starbucks on our campus. When I turned around I almost ran into Jae, "My b-" She simply ignored my presence and started her order, "Two Americanos please." "-Wait one moment," The cashier blushed and I rolled my eyes as I walked out.

I wasn't surprised to find June waiting outside. She's probably her girlfriend. She looks like one of those girls who brag about their modeling careers for a living.

"Did you apologize to her?" June asked and I gave her a confused expression, "What?"

"Don't act stupid. You purposely ran into her and you didn't even say sorry. Jae only let it go because she's nice. But if that was me you would've got hit."

"What's your point-?" "-You should be grateful she's being so nice!"

I decided to walk away until I heard her voice, "Hey, Jenae." I looked back and Jae was approaching us with a smile.

What the fuck?

I nod towards her and I turned to walk away. "We're going to be late for class! Let's go," June tugged on Jae's arm yet she kept her gaze on me. "Wait!"

I grit my teeth and as much as I didn't want to I spun to face her once more, "Yeah?"

She handed the americano to June then looked at me, "I noticed you drink coffee a lot. Drink something that's good for you," she handed me the other beverage and my face scrunched up, "What the-?"

She just ignored me back there. Why is she now deciding to acknowledge me?

She took my hand and placed the cold beverage in my hand, "Something sweet. See you around?" She smiled at me then walked away as I stared at the drink.

I heard a growl from the left of me and I looked over at June, "You try so hard for her attention! Hope you're happy!"

She quickly ran after Jae and I held my temple in confusion. What the fuck...

Did she purposely pretend to be friends with me because of June?

I sighed and threw the milkshake into the garbage before I went back to my dorm.

The switch up is real...

- - -

12/10/16 | To Be Continued...