Chapter 39

MARIA'S POV

It was a week after the trial and Tess, Kylie, and Kaitlin were found guilty and were sentenced to a life in jail. The judge said that we had more than enough evidence, thanks to B.

You could tell that everyone felt much more relieved.

Tam's funeral and wake were a little after the trial. It was hard, very hard, but by that time I realized that everything happened for a reason. And that you can't change your fate or destiny, but you can change your future. Your fate and destiny will always go as plan. I also realized that it was Tam's destiny to keep us all alive, and he succeeded. And now he doesn't have to suffer anymore. He's in a better place.

Moving on to now, we're all back in school. Although the guys, the girls, and I are constantly receiving glares and weird stares, we keep each other's chins up. One of the mottos we live by is: They know our faces, not our stories. It really helps us get through everything. Another we live by is: Don't start a fight, but if someone hits you first, you hit back. Defend yourself, don't just stand there and take it. That helps us all actually, to make sure we don't punch someone. The only one who got into a fist fight was Toby. It was because him and the girls and I were walking to lunch but everyone kept on bullying us and calling us names (the 'popular' crew). So, he walked over to them and asked them what their problem was and to leave us alone. But, the most popular guy said something mean about us. Then, Toby retorted. Lastly, the guy hit Toby and Toby hit back. The girls and I had to break it up. I, then, punched the guy and told him to not bother us again or I'll kick him in a more sensitive spot. The douche got my hint and left us alone.

Now, it's Friday, and it's twin day. The rules said only to dress alike with one other person. But Toby, Connor, Riley, B, Tommy, Jeremy, Jenna, Kris, and I all dressed up like twins. Another motto we live by: Be bold. So, we all wore white V-necks, black jeans, and black converse. The girls and I braided our hair to the side. We wore our black BYE zip-up jackets on top since it was February.

"When is this going to stop? It's been a month." I asked everyone as we walked to school.

"Who knows. But we're doing good." Connie said.

"True. Well, we'll see you guys at lunch." Jenna said as her, Kris, Toby, and I walked to our homeroom.

-

The long school day was finally over, and the girls and I walked to basketball practice. Yes, it's February, so cross country ended. We all surprisingly love track, cross country, and sort of basketball. So, we decided to play this season, and we all got in.

The dribbling and shooting drills helped get everything off of my mind. Whether I'm on the field or the court, they both clear my mind.

"Okay! Bring it in!" my coach yelled and blew her whistle.

"We are going to be scrimmaging the boys today. More like every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Their coach and I think that both teams need to practice on someone that doesn't know their plays. They will be here in 5 minutes! This is your water break!"

The girls and I gave each other looks as we went to sit outside with our water bottles.

"This can't happen." I said.

Although Toby is on that team, all the guys who 'want' the girls and I are on that team. They just can't take 'no' for an answer.

"Just go rough on them. Don't hold back." Kris said.

"And if they touch us innapropriately, slap them." Jenna added.

"And show them what we're really made of." I finished.