Chapter 38

MARIA'S POV

"You know the plan, right?" I asked everyone.

We were crowded at the boys' house. Kaitlin and her minions know we're back in town because, well, we don't feel comfortable staying in Tam's house even though when he died, his money and property were transferred to his parents, they gave all of it to us. Tam's family is like our real family. The boys may still be hitting on us and Lyla may still be hitting on Jeremy, but they're still like family. Anyway, we're back because this is where Tam wanted, and will be, buried, where my dad is buried, and one more reason.

"Yup." everyone responded. By everyone, I mean, Jeremy, Kris, Jenna, Brai, Thomas, Connor, Riley, Toby, and I.

"Then let's do this." I said as Jeremy and the girls and I went upstairs.

How we're supposed to hear from up here, I don't know.

buzz buzz.

"You gotta shut that damn thing off. You can hear it from fucking Japan." Jeremy said.

"Jeez, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed..." Kris mumbled.

"Sorry. I'm just nervous." Jeremy responded.

"I know. We'll get through this." Jenna comforted him while placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Who's phone? It's not mine and from the looks of it, it's not Jeremy's either." I said.

"It's mine. And it's from Ri." Kris said.

She read the text then said, "He said that he could hear us from downstairs. Now, that's a good and bad thing. It means we can hear from up here, but it also means we have to be careful of the volume."

We heard a few 'yes keep it downs' from downstairs.

"Oh shut up, just do what you have to do, pretty boys!" I said.

We all started laughing. Boy, am I glad to have them back.

Then, they suddenly stopped.

We immediately stopped to and looked at each other wide-eyed.

Kris' phone buzzed again, but it wasn't as loud. I guess she turned it down to the lowest possible one. Then, she pretended she was shooting a bow and arrow.

Fuck. That was the signal that meant Kaitlin and her minions were there.

We quietly lay down on the ground to hear the conversation.

"Who are you texting, Ri?" Kaitlin asked.

"My girlfriend." he said.

We heard footsteps.

"You told your girlfriend that people downstairs can easily hear the people upstairs? What are you talking about?" Kaitlin questioned. Apparently she took his phone.

"That is none of your business." Riley said.

"Ooh! Riley's gettin' it!" Connor exclaimed while everyone 'oohed'.

"Ugh guys stop! Let me tell her I gotta go." he said.

A few seconds later Kris' phone buzzed. I guess he took his phone back.

We all took turns reading the message. It said 'Bs recording on his phone. Call the cops once things get bad in the bathroom. It's the 1 room where no one can hear you talk or do anything. Or just text the detective assigned to tams death but don't do anything in that room. we can't hear you tip-toe but we can hear you walk normally. there's no squeaky parts of the floor. be careful.'