Chapter Twenty Two

“I’m home, Jessie!” James and I broke apart suddenly as my mum shouted up the stairs, coming through the door. “Jessie?” I sped down the stairs with James following, complaining quietly.
“Hi, mum. How was town?” I smiled and she put down her bags. “Clearly you bought a few things!” She laughed, and James’ arms wrapped around my waist. I could see a flicker of worry in my mum’s eyes, but it was quickly covered up with a smile.
“I’m going to go soon, Jess. We need to get ready for the show.” James murmured in my ear and he kissed me on the cheek. My mum walked into the kitchen without acknowledging James’ presence.
“We’d better go upstairs and get your stuff.” I released myself from his warm embrace and walked back to my room. I grabbed his clothes from yesterday and handed them to James.
“Close your eyes, Jess.” He said, and I did so. I felt him move my hair from the side of my neck and I heard a jewellery box opening. James put a chain around my neck and did up the clasp, then I heard him whisper in my ear. “You can look now.” My eyes flickered open, and I saw the most delicate, beautiful necklace I had ever seen. It was gold, with a J charm on it.
“It’s beautiful, James! Thank you.” I said, then he pulled me close to him. He was still stood behind me, and he started kissing my neck. His kiss was soft and gentle, and I could feel his hands holding mine.
“Jessie! Why haven’t you cleared up from lunch?” My mother’s anger was clear in her voice, and, as much as I wanted to stay exactly where I was, I turned to James and kissed him lightly.
“You’d better go home. I’ll see you on Sunday, yeah?” He nodded and looked sad. “Good luck tonight.” He smiled slightly and I smiled back.
“I love you, Jess.” I told myself not to cry as he spoke.
“I love you too, James.” He kissed me quickly then shut the front door behind him. I walked straight to the kitchen and distracted myself with the washing up. If it was the difficult for me when I was going to see him in 5 days, what will it be like when he leaves and I don’t see him for a month? Two months? More? At least I had Kevin and Laura-Jayne to distract me, and, yes, Tris as well, although he spent most of his time at work.
“Okay, every dish is clean. Can I go and practise my guitar now, mum?” I said, then saw her nod slightly. I started to walk out of the room when I heard her chair scrape across the floor as she stood up.
“Before you go, Jessie…” I turned towards her and she wasn’t smiling. “Where did that necklace come from?” My hand instinctively went up to the charm and I started turning it between my fingertips carefully.
“James bought it for me. Do you have a problem with him, mum?” My dad had accepted James on Bonfire Night, when he was talking to Tris, but I could tell that she never had, and she never might if I didn’t ask what the problem was. An awkward silence fell across us both, and I was deciding whether to leave or not, when I heard her take a deep breath.
“He’s 19, Jessica! You’re only sixteen, and I’m worried about you! He’s not going to be around all the time, and he’s in a band! You know what boys in bands do? They cheat on their girlfriends, and I don’t want to see you get hurt!” She shouted, and I felt tears prickle at the back of my eyes.
“James wouldn’t do that to me.” I said under my breath, then ran out of the room and up the stairs.

A/N: Just a quick question, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer: do you want Jessie and James to stay together? Also, if you haven't seen the boys' cover of 22, go. Go on YouTube and watch it now. Thank you for all the support and votes and shiz (wow, why did I just say that?), it really means a lot!x