Chapter Fourteen

Once everyone had left, we started clearing up, then decided it was too late and too dark.
“Tris?” I heard my dad call, then saw Tris walk over to him as I went inside. “How old is that James boy Jessie was with tonight?” I groaned internally, knowing that Tris wouldn’t lie.
“My age.” I heard my dad sigh angrily. “He’s really nice, though, and he would never hurt Jessie. He’s the guitarist in the band. We’re all spending the day with him tomorrow.” Tris was my favourite brother ever. I ran upstairs and got changed into my pyjamas, trying to fall asleep straight away so tomorrow would come quicker. Just before I closed my eyes, I saw my phone light up with a text from James. ‘Goodnight Jess, I can’t wait to see you tomorrow! I love you xxxx’

I pressed the buzzer for the boys’ apartment, butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. James had texted me saying that Connor and Courtney would be there with us for most of the day and it would just be a relaxed, lazy day. Courtney opened the door and showed me upstairs, then I greeted Connor. Courtney and Connor sat on the sofa and I sat in the big chair and waited for James. They were watching Toy Story, then James came out of the bathroom wearing tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. His hair was still wet from the shower and he obviously wasn’t ready, as when his eyes found mine they widened in shock.
“Jess, I wasn’t expecting you this early!” He said, walking over to me and enfolding me in his arms.
“James, this is when we said for her to come over!” Connor laughed at Courtney’s statement, which was entirely true. James rolled his eyes and kissed me lightly, then sat down on the chair and pulled me onto his lap. I put my legs over one of the arms of the chair and placed my head on his shoulder. We watched the rest of the film like this then Courtney and I got up to make a drink. We both headed towards the kitchen area, then she put the kettle on whilst I got some water out of the fridge.
“So how long have you and Connor been going out?” I asked her hesitantly. I had never really spoken to her except basic greetings and introductions.
“About three months, I think. We were at school together, but we never really spoke until we were in the same A-Level class. What about you and James? He’s older than you, isn’t he?” She replied and I nodded in answer to her second question.
“He’s three years older. I met him when Tris took me to his band practice a couple of months ago. He was dating Brooke when we met, but… Well, you know the rest, I guess.” I didn’t want to say that James had broken up with Brooke for me. She nodded slightly, then poured the boiling water over some tea bags. I had already got myself a glass of water whilst we were talking and swallowed it down quickly. As we went back to the boys, James looked at the three cups on the tray and then at me, his eyes questioning.
“Are you not having a drink, Jess?” I sat back down and he put his arm around my waist.
“I’ve had one.” I kissed him on the cheek and nestled my head into his chest.
“Toy Story 2?” Connor asked, and I heard Courtney and James agree. “Jessie?”
“I don’t mind, I’m happy with anything really.” I looked up and smiled at him then he slid the disc into the DVD player. The film started and I turned to James. He smiled down at me and I leant up to kiss him. He brought his lips to mine and I forgot where we were and who we were with for those few moments, until I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. ‘@KevFlynn mentioned you on Twitter: @JessieEvans what’s uuupppppp x’
“Who was that?” James whispered to me. I felt shivers go down my spine as I felt his breath on my ear.
“Kevin on Twitter.” I saw his face change, then realised he didn’t know that Kevin was gay. “You have nothing to worry about, James. Kevin’s gay!” He visibly relaxed, then put his hand on my back. I jumped up, trying to catch my breath, and saw three faces looking at me in shock.