Chapter Twenty One

By about lunchtime, I had learnt most of the chords and James was trying to teach me the lyrics, but we both kept getting… distracted, shall we say. I was still wearing my pyjamas and James was still only in his tracksuit bottoms as we went downstairs to get some food. We made cheese toasties then sat across from each other at the table to eat them. I looked at the clock on the oven and sighed.
“Only two hours left of freedom…” I saw James’ eyes flicker to the clock and he held my hand across the table. We cleared the plates and ended up having a water fight instead of washing up. My hair hung in wet strands and both of our clothes were soaked.
“Maybe now would be a good time to get dressed!” James laughed, moving a piece of hair away from my face and bringing our faces dangerously close. I smiled cheekily and turned away to begin running up the stairs. He followed me and sped past me easily. I rushed into my room and looked around for James, unable to see him. Suddenly, I felt two hands grab my waist and pick me up. I squealed as he pulled me down onto the bed with him and started ticking my waist.
“James! I’m one of the most ticklish people in the world!” I gasped between laughs.
“If you want me to stop, you’re going to have to say ‘James McVey is the hottest guitarist ever and I love him more than anything else’.” I choked the words out and he finally stopped and got up. “If we don’t get changed now, we’ll both get pneumonia or something.” I stood up and pulled my wet hair into a ponytail, then grabbed a t-shirt and some dark jeans. I went into the bathroom and changed, then brushed my teeth and washed my face. As I walked back into my room, I saw James standing by the window wearing one of Tris’ t-shirts and a pair of his jeans. He was holding what I thought was his phone in his hand, but as I got closer I realised it was mine.
“James… Why do you have my phone?” I asked tentatively, and he spun around on his heel and looked at me, his usually cheerful eyes full of worry.
“What’s this?” He showed the screen to me and I saw a text from Tia’s number, saying ‘Hey, bitch. Stop pretending that you’re all that, stop pretending you know The Vamps, just because they’re my favourite band, and get out of my school. Go back to where you came from. And if you tell anyone about this text, I will kill you.’.
“It’s from Tia. The girl I told you about? Just ignore it.” I said, trying to distract him.
“She threatened to kill you, Jess! How can I ignore that?” He shouted, his hands clenching into fists. “On Monday, I’m taking you to school. Not just me – all of us. I’m going to talk to this Tia, and she can shut up about you not knowing us. And I’m going to tell Tris to keep an eye on you until Christmas.” I nodded and let him rant on and on for a while until he calmed down, then placed my hand on his chest gently.
“You said something about Christmas – are you coming up again?” He shook his head and, seeing the disappointment that fell on my face, smiled excitedly.
“Better than that.” He paused annoyingly and I glared at him. “You and Tris and your mum and dad are coming to Malibu with me and my family, and Brad and Con are coming too!” I hugged him tightly and heard him laugh.