Chapter Twenty

“So, what do you want to do today?” I said, trying to focus on the task at hand – making coffee – and not on James.
“Remember the first time we met?” He replied into my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. I nodded slightly and he continued. “I said I would teach you my favourite song on the guitar – and I never break my promises.” His voice lowered to a murmur towards the end. I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder. I poured us both some coffee and handed him a cup. He took a sip and his face didn’t change – let’s just say I’m not the best coffee maker in the world – so I assumed it was alright. I spluttered and coughed.
“It’s cold! Cold coffee, James, is disgusting. How can you stop yourself spitting it out?” I choked out and saw him laughing.
“Have you never had a Frappuccino?” I shook my head. “Well, from what I’ve just seen – don’t.” He kissed me lightly on the top of my head then drank his coffee. Once he had finished and I put both cups in the dishwasher, I walked upstairs and into my room, assuming, correctly, that James would follow. I got my favourite guitar out of the cupboard and sat down cross legged on the bed. James sat behind me and placed his hands on mine, then showed me which frets to hold and the strumming pattern.
“Wait, you never actually told me what song you’re teaching me.” I said quietly.
“A Drop in the Ocean.” He replied simply, then carried on playing. We had just finished the first verse when Tris opened the door, making me jump.
“Haven’t you ever heard of knocking?” I snapped at him, then heard James laugh.
“Whatever. I just came to say that I’m going to work, and Dad’s already left. Mum’s coming with me into town, and she’s said she’ll be back by 3. Bye.” He walked out after finished his speech, then a few seconds later I heard my mum shout goodbye and the front door slam. James was still laughing, so I elbowed him in the stomach and turned towards him.
“What is so funny?” I asked him, genuinely not understanding why he practically had tears rolling down his cheeks.
“You and Tris!” He said between chuckles. When he had finally calmed down, he put his arms around my waist and pulled me towards him. “I’m sorry, Jess. It’s just the way you treat each other, with such major hate, it just makes me laugh.” He kissed my cheek and wound some of my hair around his fingers. “Home alone for five hours…” Feeling his warm breath on my ear sent shivers down my spine. I slid my hand around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder. The cold morning light shone through the curtains as I felt the warmth from his body run through me and fill my heart. We stayed there for a few minutes, then I heard my phone ringing. I jumped up and grabbed it from the side.
“Hello?” I said, having not looked at the caller I.D.
“Jessie? It’s me!” I recognised Kevin’s voice immediately.
“Hey, Kev! How are you?” I saw James stand up and leave the room. I was filled with disappointment until he came back in, holding one of Tris’ t-shirts in his hand.
“I’m good. Laura-Jayne and I were just wondering if you wanted to come to the cinema today.” I sighed slightly.
“I’m really sorry, Kev. I’m spending the day with James – he’s only up here this week. I’ll see you tomorrow though?” I replied, seeing James’ head shoot up when I said his name.
“Yeah, sure. Bye then.” He put the phone down and I felt sparks of guilt run through me. Kevin was my best friend here, but this was the first time I had seen James since we left London, and I wasn’t going to pass up the chance to spend the day with him.
“You alright, Jess?” James asked, and I smiled and nodded. He kissed me lightly and picked up the guitar.