Chapter Twelve

“Jessie! Over here!” I heard Chase shouting, and I knew that if I didn’t he would never be quiet, especially since I had 3 more lessons with him this afternoon. I walked over and smiled at him.
“What do you want, Chase?” I tried to be nice to him, as much as he got on my nerves.
“I just wanted to know if you, maybe, wanted to go to the movies with me?” As he asked, his friends walked off.
“I’m sorry, Chase, but I have a boyfriend. James. Shouldn’t you be asking Tia?” He looked sad, and I felt awful.
“Tia doesn’t ever want to go on dates or anything. She just wants a boyfriend.” He mumbled, and I put my hand on his arm.
“Well, why don’t you come to my brother’s Bonfire Party on the 5th – it will be fun, I promise.” I replied. He nodded and I saw Kevin and Laura standing by mine and Kevin's lockers and walked over to them.
“What did he want?” Laura asked, glaring at him.
“He asked me out.” I saw their eyes widen then laughed. “I said no! I have James, and Tia would kill me! I did invite him to the Bonfire Party, though. I felt really bad, and he looked so upset.” Kevin smiled, but Laura looked annoyed.
“I’ve got to go… I need some books from my locker…” She walked off and I turned to Kevin.
“What is her problem with Chase? I mean, I don’t like him, but something must have happened between them…” I asked him and he sighed.
“Chase asked her to the school dance a couple of years ago and she said yes. They spent the first hour together, then he went off with Tia. She found them in the cloakroom…” I nodded, seeing where this was going. “Don’t talk to her about it. She doesn’t show it, but it does hurt her.”

*Bonfire Night*

Tris had told me that James, Connor and Brad were in the area this week, doing some half-term shows later on in the holiday, so they might come to the party, but they only had the whole of this Sunday night off, so it was unlikely. We were just building up the bonfire as it got dark, then I heard Kevin and Laura come into the garden. They were coming a bit earlier to help set up, then everyone else was arriving in half an hour. I went over to them and hugged them both.
“Jessie, you look fabulous!” Kevin said, acting overly camp. I laughed along with Laura then looked at what they were wearing. Kevin was wearing black jeans and a band t-shirt with black Converse high tops, and Laura was wearing a short ­­­black one-shoulder dress and black heels, and they both looked amazing. They both had chestnut brown hair, and Laura’s was tumbling down her back in soft waves, whereas Kevin’s was styled into a quiff, similar to James’. In contrast to their black clothes, I was wearing a white lace dress which I had worn to my old school’s summer party and, as it was unseasonably warm for November, I had decided to go barefoot. I had left my blonde hair down, but wore the flower crown Jenna had got me before I left London. We carried on building up the bonfire until it was taller that my dad, then set up the fireworks. By now people were starting to arrive, so I was going back and forward to the kitchen to get drinks and food for people. About an hour later, the bonfire was blazing and the night was clear enough to see the stars. I was talking to Chase about school work and how great it was to have a holiday, when I heard a familiar Birmingham accent.
“That’s a bloody good bonfire, Jessie.” I turned around and saw Brad and Connor.
“Oh my god! Tris told me you weren’t coming!” I squealed and hugged them both, then tried to look for James without them noticing.
“He didn’t come with us, Jessie.” Connor said, then smiled. “Who are your friends?” Laura and Kevin had walked over by this point, so I introduced them. They started talking about the differences between Yorkshire and London, and I occasionally said something, but, even though Connor had told me James wasn’t coming, I kept looking for him to no avail, until the fireworks started.
“Hey, Jess!”