Chapter Eleven - Tristan's POV

I was absolutely shattered after my first day at work, and my family asked about it as we sat down for dinner.
“It was okay, met some nice people. I’m tired now, though.” I replied in answer to their questions. They understood that I was too tired to talk about it and they continued to quiz Jessie on her school day. Once we finished eating, we cleared up and Jessie and I went upstairs.
“Night, Jessie.” I said, walking to my room.
“Night, Tris.” She replied, then shut her door. I saw my phone on the chest of drawers and picked it up. I had a new message from an unknown number, so I unlocked my phone and looked at it. ‘One new text from 07789 564231: Heyyyy Tris its Emily from the restaurant – turns out we’re on the same shift this week! See you tomorrow xx’ I saved her number then replied, saying ‘Hey Emily, awesome that we’re on the same shift, see you tomorrow xx’  I liked Emily, she was really sweet and extremely pretty, with blonde hair that reached halfway down her back, and the most sparkly blue eyes I had ever seen. I had invited her to the bonfire party and she said she would come. When she smiled, her whole face lit up and she looked even more beautiful. I had fallen for her the first time I saw her, but I had no idea if she felt the same. After I got changed and brushed my teeth, I went on Twitter and YouTube for a while, then fell asleep, my mind full of Emily.

“Tristan! You’re going to be late for work!” I heard Jessie shouting from downstairs as my eyes flickered open. We had worked out that, if I had the lunchtime shift, which I did this week, and that started at 11, I needed to get up as Jessie left for school. I shouted goodbye to her then went downstairs to get breakfast and, more importantly, coffee. I fried myself some bacon and eggs and swallowed down 2 cups of coffee, then went back upstairs and got dressed. My work uniform was black trousers and a black shirt, so it didn’t take that long to get dressed. I looked at the clock and, realising I needed to leave 5 minutes ago, I ran downstairs and into my car. The engine wouldn’t start for ages, then when it finally did, I didn’t realised and slammed my foot on the accelerator, almost crashing into the wall. Today was not my day. When I finally got to the car park of the restaurant, there were no parking spaces, so I had to park a five minute walk up the street. I was already late, so I ran up the road and saw my manager standing at the door looking livid.
“Late on the second day, Evans? Not good enough!” He shouted, glaring at me.
“I’m so sorry, sir, my car wouldn’t start and there were no parking spaces in the car park.” I tried to explain myself.
“I don’t want to hear you lame excuses, Evans! Now get to work!” He yelled, and I walked quickly to the kitchen. Emily was standing there, putting her hair up into a bun, as were the rules, and when she saw me she smiled cheerfully. I walked over to her.
“I heard my dad screaming at you just now.” Yes, her dad owned the restaurant. “Sorry about that, he’s a perfectionist. My first day here, he made me cry because I accidentally dropped a glass on the floor and it smashed. He still has never apologised, and that was three years ago.” She laughed, and it sounded like sunshine.
“Emily! Tristan! Tables! Now!” Her dad shouted and we left the kitchen to wait on the taken tables.
“Hi, can I get you any drinks?” I heard Emily say, then I did the same, thinking of her the whole time.