Chapter One

"Jessie! We're leaving! Hurry up!" I heard my brother Tristan shout up the stairs as I pulled on a hoody. I grabbed my bag and ran down the stairs.

"Okay, okay, I'm here! Calm down, let's go." I laughed at him. He was stressed because I was making him late for his band practise. It was the first time he was taking me with him, his 'embarrassing' younger sister, and he was glaring at me as we walked to his car. I followed him and did my seatbelt up, smiling cheekily.

"So, what are their names again?" I said to him, trying to remember everything he had said.

"There's Connor, he's 17, a year older than you, and it's his house we're going to, then there's Brad, the brown curly haired one, he's 18, and finally there's James, who's my age. Be nice to them, and try and be normal!" He replied, implying, as he usually did, that I was 'weird', but, let's face it, he's weirder than me! He put some music on and we sat in silence, with him occasionally tapping out a rhythm on the steering wheel. We finally reached Connor's house, which was absolutely huge, and Tris jumped out of the car and slammed the door. I did the same and we walked towards the door. He slammed his hand on the door three times and a boy with dirty blonde hair answered the door. He was slightly taller than me but shorter than Tristan. He and Tris did a complicated handshake, then he turned to me.

"Tris, you didn't tell us you had a girlfriend!" I opened my eyes wide and shook my head.

"No. No way, Con!" So this was Connor. "She's my little sister, Jessie." He walked in to the house and Connor beckoned me inside. I walked in and followed them both to a music room at the back of the house with guitars lining the walls and a drum kit at the back. After Connor had shown me in, he and Tris went to get a drink from the kitchen. I noticed a few microphones were set up, and I saw a brown, curly haired boy adjusting the height of one.

"Hi, you must be Brad, right?" I said, and he nodded.

"Are you Tristan's sister? Jessie?" He replied, and I smiled.

"Um, can I play one of these guitars?" I asked, and he handed a Gibson Hummingbird to me. I had wanted one of these since I was about 10, when I first started to play guitar. I was strumming the chords and singing quietly to myself one of my favourite songs, Titanium. I had always found it easy to lose myself in music, so I didn't notice until I had finished playing that Connor, Tristan and another boy, I assumed it was James, were standing and applauding quietly.

"So, you play guitar?" James said as I looked up at them. I nodded and he smiled. "That was really good. Maybe I can teach you one of my favourite songs sometime." I felt my stomach melt - he was absolutely gorgeous. I smiled and stood up.

"So, what songs are you practising?" I asked all four of them. Tristan glared at me, almost as if I shouldn't be allowed to ask something like that.

"We're going to run through Cecelia, Can We Dance and Wildheart a couple of times, if that's okay?" Connor said, smiling at me. I nodded again, then James coughed.

"Since we've got a special guest, we should do something new. What about Lovestruck?" James said, looking into my eyes.

"Really, James? We've only just finished writing it!" Brad replied.

"Well, if anyone's going to criticise us, it will be my sister!" Tristan pointed out. I backed him up, and they finally gave in. James started playing the chords on his guitar, looking at me the whole time. After they ran through all the songs, I gave them a round of applause and hugged Tris.

"That was amazing, you guys! All the songs were perfect!" I exclaimed, laughing. They all came over to me and pushed me down onto the sofa, tickling me until I screamed for mercy.