Chapter Nine

A bell rang and the hallways began to fill with students. I began walking towards where I thought my first lesson, English, was, when someone came behind me and grabbed my hand.
"Hey, new girl." A male voice said as I spun around.
"Hi, and it's Jessie. Not 'new girl'." I corrected him, then he smiled kindly at me.
"I'm Kevin. What's your first lesson?" He asked.
"English, with Mrs Anderson." He laughed, then a pretty girl came over to us.
"That's ours too! I'm Laura-Jayne, Kevin's sister. You can call me Laura" She said, then we walked to the classroom. Kevin told me to sit next to him, then I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. 'One new text from JamesyBoy x: Good luck today babe, I'm sure everyone will love you. Believe in yourself, because I do xxxx' I smiled to myself and Kevin noticed.
"Who was that from?" He asked softly.
"James. My..." I trailed off, not sure what to call James.
"Boyfriend?" He said, and I shrugged.
"He lives in London, and he kissed me once. I think I love him, and he's told me he loves me, and I miss him so much." A single tear rolled down my cheek and I wiped it away.
"It'll be okay, Jessie." Kevin said. Mrs Anderson came into the room and started talking about Pride and Prejudice, but I wasn't really listening.
"What do you have next?" Kevin whispered to me.
"Music, what about you?" We realised that we had the same lessons for most of the time, then the bell went. Along with Laura, we started walking to the music block. It turned out that Kevin worked at the music shop as well, and we were talking about that when someone put their hand on my back and kissed my cheek.
"What do you want, Chase?" Laura said, rolling her eyes.
"I just wanted to talk to the pretty new girl! Am I not allowed to do that?" He had an American accent, and, from Kevin and Laura's faces, not someone that I should be talking to.
"Well, when she's already got a boyfriend, and you would just kiss her, maybe get something else, then dump her, no, you're not." Kevin snapped, then pulled me towards the classroom door. Chase blew a kiss at me and I blushed, then Laura slapped me on the arm.
"No. Don't even think about it. He is bad news." She hissed, then we walked into the classroom, followed by the teacher.
"I understand we have a new student today - Jessica Evans?" I put my hand up and he nodded. "I'm Mr Jones. Apparently, you're a good guitarist. Show us what you can do." He handed me an acoustic guitar and I looked at him. I saw Kevin give me a thumbs-up, so I started playing the guitar part for Wildheart. As I finished, the class started clapping as Mr Jones stared at me as if he couldn't believe what I had just done.
"They said she could play guitar well, but they never said she could sing!" He muttered under his breath. I hadn't even realised I was singing until I heard him say this, and I suddenly felt embarrassed and looked at the floor. A girl came up to me and snatched the guitar from my hands.
"Just so you know, I'm the star here, not some random girl from London - and keep your hands off Chase. He's mine." She hissed at me, and I tried to ignore it as I went to sit next to Kevin and Laura.
"Okay, who was that, and what was she talking about?" I looked at them as I asked.
"That was Tia Gold. Her dad's totally rich because he owns some electrical company, and she can sing and play instruments pretty well, but clearly you're better than her! Oh, and Chase and her have been dating on and off for about a year. She must have seen him earlier." Laura replied, her voice full of hatred.
"I don't like Chase, I've spoken to him once, and I didn't actually speak! Plus, I have James, and I love him." I said. The whole of the lesson I felt Tia's eyes staring daggers at me, and I tried to brush it off, but it was hard too.