Chapter Fifty

I woke up on the sofa on the day of my first exam with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I got up slowly, imagining that if I did everything slowly, the inevitable exam would come slower. It didn't. Time passed just as fast as it would any other day. I ate my breakfast as normal, hearing my mum and dad say words of encouragement, telling me that everything was going to be okay, they only wanted me to do my best, but I couldn't hear them. It sounded like white noise. Tristan stumbled down the stairs as I was starting to walk up them to get changed for school, wearing only his boxers. I raised my eyebrows at him and he glared at me, then his expression softened, almost as if he had remembered what day it was.
"Good luck, sis. You'll smash it." He mumbled sleepily and carried on downstairs. I ran a hand through my still-messy-from-bed hair and went to my room. My school uniform was all ready (thanks to my mum) for me to just throw on, as she knew I would be stressed and panicking. I quickly changed and put some concealer and mascara on, then speedily brushed my hair into a messy plait. I brushed my teeth and grabbed my bag, then ran downstairs, almost tripping over my own feet.
"See you later, mum! Bye, dad!" I shouted as I opened the door.
"Good luck, love! You'll be fine. Love you!" The replies from my parents seemed to be one simultaneous answer, and I heard Tris say something as well. I shut the door behind me and ran to get the bus, which, for once, was early. I checked my phone, saw that there was a text from James saying 'good luck baby, you'll be fine. I love you xxxxx' and I replied saying 'thank you, see you soon. Love you too xx' then decided that it was time I went through my notes, feeling my stomach flip over every time I thought of what I was getting myself into. It's just an exam, Jessie. You'll be fine. You know all the stuff. It's going to be okay. The words were floating around my head but I pushed them away, wanting to get as much information as I could. The bus stopped quicker than I thought it would. I got off slowly and walked into school, nerves seriously starting to kick in. I got my pencil case out and found Kevin and Laura, who appeared to be less stressed than I was. I could feel a headache starting, and I just wanted to get this exam over and done with. The wait to get into the hall seemed to take for ever, and I breathed a sigh of relief when I sat down. The invigilators went over the rules of the exam but I wasn't listening. My hand was shaking and my head was pounding. I tried to control my breathing to calm down, but it wasn't working. I heard that it was time to start the exam, and I opened my paper. I couldn't read any of the words - it was all just a blur. I closed my eyes and shook my head, trying as hard as I could to focus, but the pounding just got worse. It felt as if someone had got a hammer and was constantly hitting the back of my head with it. I told myself to put my hand up and tell someone, but nothing was working. I opened my eyes to try to signal to one of the invigilators, but they weren't looking. I saw the room spin, heard someone cry out, then realised it was me.
Then everything went black.

Forever.

a/n: so... that's officially the end. i know that it maybe wasn't what you expected. but i promise the epilogues will be better than this.
thank you so much for supporting me on this almost 2 year long journey. I've genuinely put my heart and soul into this book, and every comment, vote and read means the world to me. it breaks my heart that this is pretty much the end, but im also so happy that everyone has supported it. thank you so much. ❤️