Chapter 1

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1
"ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʙᴇɴᴅꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ"

The scenery flew past him akin to a film reel at full speed. The pants leaving his lips were loud but they were easily overpowered by his laughs, a permanent smile being plastered on his face as he kept running. He could feel the dirt cave in beneath him and the twigs snapping as he stepped on them. With sudden movements he shoved away the branches in front of his face, pushing through. The leaves easily crumbled beneath his soles as he pushed off the ground, making his grade escape less than graceful and stealthy.

"Just you wait, Jung Hoseok until I get my hands on you!" a familiar voice called from behind him. Hoseok picked up his pace at the vicinity. He jumped over the tree roots and rocks that were blocking his path like it was second nature.

"You'll have to catch me first!" he yelled back, turning his head just slightly. Seeing her smirk in the treeline only made him smile even wider. She was getting closer.

Hoseok kept running, picking up his pace even more. Slowly the footsteps behind him faded more and more. As he looked back the shape of the girl following him grew smaller, obscured by the many trees and bushes surrounding them. Hoseok figured she was probably doubled over somewhere, trying to desperately catch her breath. He kept running until he could no longer hear the footsteps behind him. 

The man hid behind a tree to catch his breath. His heartbeat was so loud he could hear it. He could feel the pressure of it on his entire body, his head and eardrums beating with it. It had been quite a while since he had run that fast. As his breathing slowed down and his throat grew sorer, he came back to his senses again. 

The only sounds around him now were those of the wind and the birds. The breeze slowly caressed the leaves as if it were a lover, the birds a choir singing in the background. It was serene, giving Hoseok even more comfort as he could feel the mute sunlight of autumn shining on his face through whatever was left of the canopy.

Hoseok crouched down, balancing himself on the jagged tree behind him, and looked around. He didn't know where she was or whether he had lost her in the woods. It scared him. It was weird how the adrenaline rush while fleeing felt so addicting, in comparison to the frightening feeling of not knowing where your opponent was. It was almost like he valued being chased more than being safe. Of course, now there wasn't much danger, unless the wrath of his sister would count as such that is. 

Hoseok and Dawon had been sparring and Hoseok had won, easily pushing her down to the floor and pressing her into the dirt. His sister, however, did not agree. Hoseok had sprung up only for his sister to go after him. They started running, then sprinting, it escalated like that until she was outright chasing him. They were actually supposed to get some wood for the fire, but they kind of got side-tracked. They had enough time to collect firewood later on either way.

Hoseok carefully got up again, trying to be as quiet as possible. He brushed the dirt off his knees, some of the mud already staining his pants. It was the start of autumn so it was still a bit rainy at this time of the year. It made the paths slippery and muddy. It didn't really bother him, he was used to it at this point. He had grown up in these woods after all. He knew how to accommodate to the seasons when he was always sent out to collect firewood with his sister from the moment he could walk. 

There was still no sight of her. As Hoseok walked in between the familiar trees he started wondering just how far he had run off. His sister wasn't slow by any chance. They had grown up sparring and racing together, today was no different. For a second he started to worry, thinking she might've slipped on a tree branch or some moss. 

Only one second later that thought was the furthers from his mind. He felt the headache coming up strongly, almost as if he had received a blow to the head. It was sudden, shaking him to the core without warning. The world around him slowed down, slower and slower until everything stopped. The leaves no longer danced on the breeze and the birds lost their song. The silence was eerie. It frightened him even though he had gone through this many times before. It just seemed to be something he'd never get used to.