Chapter 25

Zoe's POV

The plane hits the ground with a violent jolt and I have to cover my ears as the wheels screech along the runway below. It doesn't feel as if the plane is slowing down but eventually, after 10 minutes of pressure building up and causing my ears to pop multiple times, it comes to a stop. There's silence in the plane before everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Toward the front, someone starts clapping and soon everyone joins in, as if commending the pilots for saving our lives. I clap along weakly, too exhausted to even think. Martin rolls his eyes, not bothering to join in.

Looking out the window, the bright lights of the Philadelphia airport create a stark contrast to the pitch back sky from which we just landed.

"Are you alright?" Martin asks, taking my hand again and I turn to him before shaking my head.

"No of course I'm not," I reply honestly, "This was my first plane ride and we almost crashed!" I huff, the anxiety in my stomach being gnawed away by the warmth of Martin's hand in mine.

"But we didn't," he replies cockily.

"What are we going to do? Have you thought about that?" I ask as he lets go of my hand and stands up to collect our baggage from the overhead compartment.

He raises his eyebrows at me as he shrugs on his backpack.

"We're almost 5 hours away from Boston! We have to book another flight that will probably only be departing tomorrow or not soon because of the weather! And the orientation is tomorrow!"

"So, we book another flight, don't worry," Martin replies, waving me off.

"Where are we going to stay?" I almost shriek in annoyance. He's not comprehending what I'm saying here nor is he grasping how serious the situation is. "And we need to let my parents know. Oh my God, they're going to freak out," I whine, closing my eyes.

"We'll find a hotel nearby or something and fuck no, we're not telling your parents," he grumbles.

"They're my parents and I'm going to tell them," I say, getting irritated.

"Fine, do whatever you want. Let's go," he says bluntly before pulling me along after him.

When we enter the airport, I squint at the harsh light. Looking around, I notice quite a few people that look around my age, some even wearing their Harvard jerseys. I let out a small sigh of relief realizing I won't be the only one who's late for orientation.

I switch on my phone as Martin leads me to a long line under a board labelled "Passport Control". Several text notifications pop up - 3 from my mum, one from Lea and two from Cameron. I navigate to my contacts list and just as I'm about to call my mother, Cameron's caller ID appears and I answer the call.

"Cameron!" I say, aware that my voice still sounds shaky. Martin turns to me, frowning before growling softly and looking away.

"Hey, are you there already?" He asks amused.

"No, we're not," I sigh, glancing at the long line ahead.

"We?"

Crap, I don't think I told Cameron Martin was coming with me. After the night he stayed over, he left early that morning and left a small note saying he'd call me. We spoke for hours but in my muddled thoughts, I probably forgot.

"Martin and I.." I say.

"Oh," he says and I can tell he's trying to hide his surprise, "Well why aren't you there yet? Is everything okay?"

"We had an emergency landing because of the bad weather, and now we're stuck in Philadelphia," I groan.

"Oh, woah. That's not too far from Boston though, it's a five hour drive I think."