Chapter 47

A few hours have passed and everyone moved erratically. Desperate to defend the side they're on. At that point, all decorations were destroyed. Fountains and statues that used to beautify the place all ended up being crushed. There's fire and chaos wherever one's eye land. Agonized screams, exhausted grunts and breaking bones set the mood of the night that was supposed to be perfect and at ease.

Maia was fighting with another witch. They were both covered in sweat but Maia was obviously winning. Baldassare saw them and immediately ran to them, "Maia!" he shouted and the witch's attention turned to him. Eyes widening, the ugly witch ran away before Baldassare could catch her. "Ma, are you alright? Where are the others? Where is Autumn? Is she safe?" He asked placing both his hands on Maia's shoulder.

Maia panted brushing her messy hair out of her face. "I'm fine." she looked around still attentive to their surroundings, "The others are out fighting but Autumn... I don't know, but she was with Athan."

"Are they safe?" He insisted.

Skeptically, Maia frowned. Baldassare was never THAT concerned about Autumn or his younger siblings. "I hope so... I'm sure Athan won't let anything happen to Autumn at least not let her fight until midnight."

"Where can I find them? Tell me. Caleb asked me to bring them to him. He know's where to keep them safe." He asked urgently, lightly squeezing Maia's shoulder.

"I last saw them in the woods."

"Woods?" Her son's eyes widened and Maia just nodded, trying to get away from him.

Maia felt he was straight up lying in her face. If Caleb did know a safe place, he would've proposed it to them before tonight. Specially, it's unlikely for him to trust a person whose been MIA for a while with the Nature's daughter.

They stared at each other for a while. Maia tried to elude herself from her own son who emitted danger. Baldassare frowned, immediately whispering a spell under his breath.

Maia aggressively pushed him off. Before she could throw a counter spell, it was too late. He has read her mind.

"LIAR!" He shouted at her. "I AM YOUR SON!"

Maia got back on her stance, wary of his sons possible actions. "You were going to hurt them! Caleb hasn't even seen you the whole day, no one did.." She spat incredulously. She even noticed Baldassare's clothes. It isn't even a match for the night's occasion and he was perfectly neat, indicating he literally just got there.

"I'm not gonna hurt them, Ma," He jeered, "Some one else will." He smiled cunningly before blowing his mother a flying kiss. "Be careful, Maia." He backed away and disappeared in the sea of countless duels. Maia was about to go after him but the witch came back with the same plan of ending her, this time she brought her coven.

Baldassare was ecstatic. "So my youngest sister and her bitch have been in the castle all this time. Of course. That imbecile wouldn't think of anything creative to protect her bitch." He roamed the halls. Without having to kick every door open he could feel if there is presence beyond the walls. 

Finally, he sensed something. It was such a weak force of presence he could've missed it. He stopped moving and focused on his gut and hearing. Slowly he approached the door. It was an ordinary bedroom for guests.

He quietly turned the know clockwise and pushed it open. There weren't anything special in the room if you looked at it. Bed was perfectly made and everything was in place. But still, he couldn't let the intuition just go. He touched the wall, considering the possibility of pushing a secret chamber. Almost done with his inspecting, a smile tugged on his lips as he remembered some things. "Of course, how could I forget. Only the nobles know about this portal." Unlike Athan, he didn't even need a spell. All he did was pushed through the right spot and a door formed just like magic.