Chapter 9

■■■

.23.

Slowly, my eyes opened, seeing the sunlight peek between vanilla curtains. I smiled for having a nightmare-less sleep. I mindlessly reached for Eight behind me and I suddenly felt disappointed when I turned and there's no one there. I pursed my lips and turned again to face the curtains.

As my vision cleared, I noticed a note sitting beside the end table of the bed. Written on a white sticky note, "I made breakfast." It was all that I needed to make my heart flutter in giddiness again.

It made me wonder how Eight was feeling. I mean, she's full of bruises from the gang fight, how could she be capable of doing breakfast.

Feeling like I already have all the energy I need to conquer the day, I jumped out of bed. Skipping, I remembered I haven't had any dinner last night, and so did Eight. We should really be hungry.

Scratching my eyes with the back of my hand and taking the morning glory off that I felt, I started to step down the long and curved staircase. Reaching the bottom, I skipped again to the kitchen, still holding her note in my hand.

My smile grew even wider from the view of her swaying to the music. She seemed to be happy and fine. I silently walked inside and sat on one of the stools.

I was definitely enjoying myself from the view when she stopped slightly and greeted, "Good morning, Autty."

I felt my cheeks heat up a little before I can ask. "Good morning. How are your wounds?"

She finally turned around and started to put the pancakes in the middle of us. "It's healed. Thanks to you." Eight gazed in my eyes first before smiling and winking. I looked down. I don't really know how to contain myself when she's being sweet and flirty.

"Great. Can I see it?"

She turned around and took the beverages in her hand, "Later. I don't want you to lose your appetite." She reasoned but it sounded more like an excuse.

Smiling, I dismissed. "Alright. By the way, where's One? Isn't she going to join us?"

"Probably not. She came in late last night." She sat beside me and started mixing her butter and syrup together as I spread the butter on my pancake.

"You were awake?"

"Yeah. Stupid girl left her keys so I had to open it for her."

I laughed, "Hey c'mon. It shouldn't be a big deal right? It looks like she rescued you from that gang fight."

Eight's displayed a little embarrassment. I quickly placed my hand on top of hers, "Hey c'mon. It's not that bad to accept a helping hand. It think it's better that you know now you got a good and reliable company."

She smiled but still a little unconvinced. I decided to let it go and not preach and instead savor the pancakes Eight cooked for the both of us.

.24.

"You're going home already?" Eight asked me as I was looking for the wallet in my bag after clicking the send button to Zoeey.

Nodding, I confirmed. "Yeah. I should let you rest."

"I'm completely fine, Autumn."

"Have you seen how beat up you were last night?" I stopped moving to look at her.

"Well, do I still look beaten now?" She emphasized herself with her hands. I studied her face and arms.

I smiled a little, "No. And it's bizarre."