Chapter Fifteen

My legs gave out beneath me and I dropped to my knees, right next to my brother’s now dead body.  Memories from Luke’s life flooded through my mind.  Usually the person who died is the one who sees their life flash before their eyes, but maybe it’s all part of the twin telepathy that I see it, too.

                I remembered the first day of school every year when our mom made sure we weren’t ever put in the same classes so we didn’t fight or anything during the day.

I remembered the day I walked into Katie’s house and saw her making out with my brother on her living room couch.  I quickly covered my eyes and sreamed “EW!  Stop it or I’ll come over there and kill you both!”

I remembered the time he dared me to jump off the diving board at the public pool, and when I got up there, I was too scared, so he came up and pushed me off.

I remembered the night he came home with the police and Katie stayed in my room, crying all night.  Then the next morning he was gone.  Had he left because he was a vampire?

I remembered worrying about him for weeks before I got the first email, telling me he was okay.  I was so relieved.

After what seemed like hours, but was probably only a few minutes, I looked up at Kyle and he looked shocked, surprised by my reaction.

I wiped tears from my eyes and stood up.  “What the Hell, Kyle.”

He was even more shocked.

“Why did you kill him?  Why?”

“He was the vampire from your house.  I killed him because he was a threat.”

I laughed without humor and stood up.  “You think I care if he’s a vampire.  That guy, his name was Luke.  Luke Butler.  He was my twin brother!  I don’t care if he’s a rabid monkey!  He was my brother!”

Tears continued to run down my cheeks and I did what I had stood up to do.  I punched him as hard as I could.  I could tell it didn’t hurt him as much as I wanted it to, but of course, I had wanted it to put him in the hospital.  Or worse; kill him.

I fell back down to my knees and a few minutes later I saw that Kyle was still there.  “GET OUT!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.  “And I don’t just mean the balcony, and I don’t mean the party.  You killed the vampire, so get out of my life!”

He looked down at me and turned slowly, leaving me alone.  “And on your way out, tell Katie to come up here, will you?”

He left without looking back, so I didn’t know if Katie was coming until I saw her walk onto the porch.  Well, when I say walk, I mean more dance/ stagger.  She was pretty drunk.

When she looked down at me she smiled.  “So you invited the hot guy from the store?  Nice.”  I looked down at my brother, who was already decomposing.  I could tell that in just a couple hours, he would be dust.

Katie’s eyes followed mine and she screamed.  “What is that?”

Tears streamed down my face faster.  “Your boyfriend.  Look, you’re too drunk for me to explain now, so either you go back to the party and try to sober up a bit, or kick everyone else and go to bed, and I’ll explain it all in the morning.

She sat down.  “What happened?”

I looked at the clock on the wall in the main room that I could see through the windows on the balcony.  “It’s 11:30.  You can kick everyone out or go to bed and leave the party going.  But whatever you decide, I’m not telling you what happened while you’re drunk.  Now go get a blanket big enough to cover this.  I don’t want to watch him fade away.