Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

I went home and called Katie in the car.  “Katie, did you see the news this morning?”

“Uh, no.  why?  Did Canada declare war on us?  You so owe me fifty bucks!”  I fought a laugh.  When we were in junior year Katie bet me Canada would declare war on the United states by the time we were forty.

“First of all, no, they didn’t, and they never will.  I’m sticking with that.  And also, Kyle’s on it.  Wolf Kyle.  Got hit by a car.”

“Oh my gosh!  Is he okay?”

“I don’t know.  Maybe.  I just went down there and saw him.  He’s alive, and the vet says she never lost an animal, but I’m kind of worried.”  I suddenly realized what she might think at that so I quickly continued, “because he has this adorable little sister, and I don’t want her to lose her brother, even if she’d be better without him.”

“You sure that’s why you care so much?”

“Shut up.”  I knew what she was getting at, and I didn’t want to have to talk about it again.

“Hey, we have to work tomorrow.  Remind me again, why?”

“Because we like the uniforms?  No that’s not it.  You like flirting with college guys?  No, also not it.”  I continued this for a minute, pretending we didn’t need the money for food and fun in college.  “Maybe it’s because we get to see your dad all the time?  No.  You don’t like that too much.”

“I get it.”

“So my parents came home last night for their anniversary.”

“Gasp.  You think they’re going to put things back to normal?  I mean, as normal as they could get without…”

She trailed off, not wanting to say “without Luke.”  I understood that.

“Got it.  But no way.  They just asked me if I had heard anything from him.  It’s like he’s all they care about.”

A moment of silence followed.  “You told them, right?”

“Told them what?”

“About Luke.  I mean, they deserve to know.  They are the parents.”

“But, I think it would be better for them to have hope that he’s out there, and could come back.  What they don’t know can’t hurt them, right?

“Don’t you think they’d rather not wait around forever for him to come back, if that’s not going to happen?  I would want to know.  I’m glad I know.”

“Trust me, they wouldn’t believe me, and I would have rather not know, and since they’re more like me, I think this is best.”  I thought back to my conversation with Carly the previous day.  Some people can have proof, but still choose not to believe.

“Trust me, I think it’s best I not tell them.”  I’d rather not end up in a crazy house because my parents think I belong there.

“Whatever, it’s your decision.  But I still think they deserve to know.”

“Whatever.  I think I can officially say this has been the worst, craziest, and most dramatic life of my week.  Hey, I have to go,” I said as I pulled up to my driveway, running in to get on my computer.

I went onto Unitedworldpoets.com and clicked on the create poem link on the side.  Something happened during my conversation with Katie, and I just had to get my creative juices flowing somehow, and writing seemed to be the best option.