Chapter eleven

We drove for hours, and every once in a while, Kyle would ask me some sort of random question like my favorite food, what I wanted to become when I graduated college, my past pets.  After a while, I just asked him why he was asking them.

                “Well, because I want to get to know you if I’m going to be protecting you.”

                “Okay then.”  At noon, I was hungry again so I pulled into the first Burger King I could find and went through the drive thru.

                “Hello, welcome to Burger King.  What can I get for you?”

                “Uh, one number six with a large sprite, and…”  I looked at Kyle.

                “Just get me a Whopper and some water.”

                “And a number one with a water.”

                “Okay, please pull up to the next window.”

                A few minutes later we were driving away with my crispy chicken sandwich and his burger.  “So, you like sprite and Chicken, huh?”

                “Yeah, I guess.”

                Just then the last track of the Flyleaf Memento Mori CD ended, so he started flipping through the pages of my CD wallet for something to listen to.  “You have the Queen Greatest hit CD?”

                “Yeah, so?”

                “He popped the CD into the little slot and ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ came on through the speakers.

                “So, I love this song.”  I started nodded my head with the beat and he started singing along, very badly I might add.  “Steve walks warily down the street with the brim pulled way down low.”

                I laughed and joined in, screaming the lyrics at the top of my lungs.  “Ain’t no sound but the sound of his feet,” then I lowered my voice and sang for real, “Machine guns ready to go.”

                I heard him laughing right next to me.  “What?”

                “You’re pretty good.”

                Now it was my turn to laugh.  “Yeah, sure.  Hey, why don’t you tell me what you think of my pet Unicorn’s dancing.”

                “No I’m serious.  I mean, you’re better than me.”

                “Yeah, well that’s not much of an accomplishment.”

                I pretended to wince.  “Harsh.  You know, you’re really mean when you want to be.”

                “Yeah, I know.”

                “Hey, how long have we been in this car?  Two hours?  I could have gotten us there by now.”

                “Well, excuse me for accommodating the speed limit.”

                We drove for another hour before we got to my street.  I turned down the music and parked in my driveway.  “Okay, how much time do I have?”

                “We have five minutes.”

                I killed the engine and got out of the car, leaving my crutches behind.  “So I have my own rule.”