Chapter four

I nodded and walked through the front door.  I was going against everything I believed in when I let him in, but that shock was not normal.  I wanted answers.  I walked him to the family room and sat him down on the leather couch before I finally spoke.  “What the HELL was that!  Why did you even touch me in the first place?”

                He took a deep breath.  “Is there anyone else in this house?”

                I looked at him in confusion until he yelled, “Answer the question!”  I might have looked a little scared, so he sighed.  “I’ll tell you everything you need to know, but first you have to tell me; is there anyone else here?”

                I shook my head.  “I doubt it.  My parents are never home, and my brother shouldn’t be back in town for a few days.  Now tell me what is going on!”

                He sighed, resigned.  “Look, before I say anything, you have to promise you won’t think I’m crazy.”

                I nodded and he continued.  “Okay, well you see, I’m a werewolf.  And you’re my mate.”  He said it simply and my jaw dropped.  I grabbed his arm, being sure to only touch where his sleeve was between our skin.  I towed him to the door and pushed him outside.

                “Crazy?  I don’t think you’re crazy.  I think you’re completely insane!  Bonkers!  Now go away!”

                I tried to shut the door but he caught it with his hand and pushed it open more.  I shot him a look, telling him to back down, but he just said, “give me ten seconds to prove it to you.”

                I sighed and started counting backwards.  “Ten…nine…” before I could get to eight, the strangest thing I ever saw happened.

He shifted.  Into a black wolf.  I screamed and he shifted back, and I was surprised when he was fully clothed.  He had a worried look on his face.  “What’s wrong, Lainey?”

He tried to walk to me but I simply screamed, “don’t call me Lainey!”  And with that, I shut the door in his face.  I stood on the opposite side of the door from him, frozen.

I felt my phone buzz so I reached for it in my pocket.  I saw that I had gotten a text from Katie and I turned around to lean on the door while I read it.

I’m sorry,

But why did you drive off with that guy?

R u crazy?

I slid down the side of the door and sat on the floor.  “I’m dreaming.  That’s what’s going on.  I’m just dreaming.”

I texted her back.

I’m fine, don’t worry!

I 4give u!

I ran up to my room and decided to try and fall asleep.  If this really was a dream, then maybe I would wake up as soon as I went to sleep.  I lay in bed for at least half an hour with no success.  After a while I looked at my clock on the bedside table and read 1:00.  I went downstairs and looked out the peephole to make sure he was gone before opening the door and walking out to my car.  I would grab some burgers at McDonalds on my way back to work.

I flung open my car door, looked up, and without a word shut it and turned around to run back to the safety of my house.

Before I got very far, though, two very strong arms wrapped around my waist and dragged me back to the car.  They threw me into shotgun and strapped the seatbelt across my body, against my squirming and screaming.  “What the HELL Kyle!  Get away from me!  What are you doing?!?!”