Epilogue

Epilogue

20 years later:

“Mom!  Wake up!  I have to get to school!”

I opened my eyes to see my twelve year old son at the door to my bed room with a backpack over one shoulder and glasses on.

“David, calm down.  We still have,” I looked at the clock, “five minutes.  I’ll be down stairs in two minutes.”  He left the room, and I called after him, “and get some breakfast!”

I rolled over and kissed my husband on the cheek.  “Time to wake up, Kyle.  Kids have to be at school in fifteen minutes.”

He opened his eyes and sat up, kissing me on the cheek before getting up.

“So, are you taking David or Izzy and Logan?”

“Ugh.  You decide.”

I hurried and put on some dark wash jeans and a pale pink long-sleeved blouse and some flip-flop sandals.

“Okay, I’ll take the middle schooler.”

“Okay.”  I went down stairs, deciding to shower when I got back, but Kyle had to take a shower and get dressed for work.

“Mom, come on!”

“David, your father’s driving you this morning.  He’ll be down in a few minutes.”

“But we have to go, now!”

“He’ll speed.”

I got to the kitchen and put a poptart in the oven.  When my sixteen-year-old daughter walked in a tight, revealing sweater that stopped mid-waist.  “Isabella Elaine Wolf!  Go put on some actual clothes.”

You know how people always tell you that you’ll understand what it’s like when you’re a mom?  Well it’s true.

“Mom, everyone’s wearing these!”

“And if everyone decided to jump off a bridge, would you?”

“Why not?”

“Well I don’t care!  Where did you even get that?”

“I bought it.”

“Go change.”  Then I remembered my seventeen-year-old son.  “Logan, where are you!”

“I’m up, Mom.”

A few minutes later, I piled the high schoolers into my car and drove them off to their school.  “Hey, tell Emily hi for me.”

“Okay, mom.”

“Bye.  Love you.”

They said bye and walked off to the doors of their school.

Honk honk!  I looked over to see Katie driving around me.

I stuck my hand out the window and waved to her.

“Lunch with Carly, right?”

“Yeah!  Where again?”

“Um, her house.”

“Okay!  See you then!”

I pulled out of the school parking lot and drove back to my house, relieved when Kyle’s car wasn’t in the driveway.  Good, he got the kid to school.

I went up the stairs and sat at the desk in my room and started writing.  During my creative writing class in college, I decided what I wanted to do with my life.  I write books.  About vampires, witches, and of course, werewolves.

I got to writing the next chapter of my current story about a vampire and werewolf falling in love and all that crap.  If only the world knew what real vampires and werewolves were like.

My phone started ringing so I picked it up and smiled.  “Hey, Carly.”

“Hey.  Josh is so sweet.”

“Really?  I remember a few decades ago you thought he was a, what was it?  Dickhead?”

She ignored that comment.  “He’s taking off the day of work and taking me to California foor the weekend.  I know it’s a lot to ask, but could Emily and Nathan come stay with you guys?”

“Yeah.  So does that mean no lunch?”

“Oh, my gosh, I completely forgot!  Sorry.”

“It’s fine.”  I had to call Katie and tell her.

We hung up and I called Katie, number three in speed dial, after only Kyle and 911.

“Hey.”

“Hey, Carly just called.  Josh is taking her to California for the weekend, so lunch is cancelled.”

“Okay.  Well do you and Kyle want to have dinner tonight?”

“Um, over here.  Bring the kids.  I have Carly’s for the weekend.”

“Okay.”

Katie had stayed single for a year or so after finding out Luke had come back to kill her.  But after a while, she ended up falling in love with none other than Caleb Smith.  They got married two years later and had two kids.  Twins, actually.  Annie and Melissa.  Now, the girls are friends with Isabella, and Carly’s daughter, Emily.

Carly had gone off to college in Michigan and one summer, came back and saw Josh.  He told her how he always felt about her, and they sort of fell in love quickly, getting married after a year and having two kids, Emily and Nathan.

I still keep in touch with Gina and Riley.  Gina had dropped out of school and moved back to California, and married her mysterious boyfriend after a few years, but got divorced a year later.  Riley had never gotten married.  She still lives in the area, and she owns a little coffee shop a few blocks over, Riley’s.

As for me and Kyle, we got married a few months after I went to his house and kissed him.  He came back to the university and became a lawyer.  We had Logan Michael soon after, and then Izzy.  Kyle had insisted giving her the middle name of Elaine.  And then David Lucas.

All of the kids have Kyle’s green eyes, and the two boys have my blond hair.  But Isabella looked so much like Jessica when she was little.  Just like in my dream all those years before.  They were all werewolves, but David hasn’t shifted yet.

My parents got back to normal a little after Kyle and I started dating.  They never knew about Luke.  But I’ll never forget the day I introduced Kyle to my parents.  My dad nearly broke his hand at the hello, and almost cried when Kyle had to leave.  They really hit it off.  Sometimes I think my dad loves Kyle more that I do.

I tell our kids our story all the time, just to make sure they never stop believing in love, like I had.  Izzy is currently dating a guy with a nose ring, which I’m not thrilled about, but at least she’s dating.  Logan has a new date every week.  David says he has a girlfriend, but when your twelve, that means a girl you hold hands with and hug, which I glad about, because I want to keep them little for just a while longer, before they go off and find their mates, who I can only hope are nothing like me, and hurry up with the falling in love part.