Chapter Eight

I hated this swimsuit.  It wasn’t like I had never worn a bikini before, but not one this small.  And besides, the last think I wanted right now was to give Kyle a look at my body.

                I wasn’t perfectly developed like other girls I’ve known, with big boobs and a waist so skinny you could wrap one hand around it.  I was skinny, but I had a little bit of fat on my stomach.  I was pretty flat, to be honest.  I had boobs, just not big ones.  But despite my lack of major body shape, I still didn’t want Kyle seeing any of it.

I looked at the time on Kelly’s alarm clock before asking her for a t-shirt I could wear in the water.  She tossed me a plain white one and I exited the room.  It had been an hour and a half since I texted Katie.  It would be a long while before she came to my rescue, so I was stuck here for at least another hour.

                I went downstairs and ducked into my room, hiding it under the mattress again.  I went into the kitchen and Mrs. Wolf pointed me outside and I saw the pond through the window in the door.  it was more of a lake really, with a shed close by and lights surrounding it, which would be needed because the sun was beginning to set behind the trees.  About ten bodies were already splashing in the water, and I walked towards the back door to join them.

                Kyle came down just before I opened the door and sighed in relief.  “Mother!  I told you not to let her go outside without me.”  I looked at him and noticed that he was in light blue swim trunks and one of those man tank tops.  (I’m not sure what they’re called.)

                I scowled and opened the door, jogging straight to the water, and doing a cannonball in without stopping.

                When I resurfaced, Kyle was next to an outdoor chair, pulling off his shirt and then he followed me in without letting me swim away to allow for the giant splash.

                He started walking through the water towards me, so I dove underneath the surface and swam as fast as I could towards the kids.  Jessica was already there in a pink Barbie one piece and a floaty noodle in her arms.

                “Lainey!  You can swim really fast!”  She paddled with her feet over to me, which took a while.

                I just did what she wanted to do for about an hour before I had to pee for real.  I went inside with Kyle watching me cautiously.  I ran up the stairs to the only bathroom I had seen in the house yet, when I saw a bedroom with a sign on the door that said ‘Kyle.’

                I sudden thought crept into my mind.  Maybe the key is in there!  I opened the door, but then remembered my need to pee.  I ran to the bathroom and took as little time as possible.  I then ran back to the door and quickly opened the door.  It was neat.  As in, no clothes on the floor, his bed was made, no posters on the wall, all trash in a metal waste basket in the corner.

I ran to the hamper, being sure to make no noise.   I dug through it for the pants he was wearing, and smiled when I found them, key still attached to the loop.  I untied the knot, being sure not to touch the key itself, thinking about where it had been.

I sighed in relief when it came undone easily and I ran down the stairs.  Kyle would be expecting me to try something right now, so if I ran out now, he would probably already be leaning against the door.  Besides, I might not want to drive for hours in a wet swimsuit, especially one that isn’t mine.

I went into my room to make sure my phone was still where I put it.  It was, and so I put the key there with it, but then as I was leaving the room, I went back and retrieved it.  No way was I leaving this where someone could get it easily.