Chapter Thirty

Chapter 30

“So, what did you do last night?”  I was surprised, and so I stared at him confused, waiting for him to elaborate.  “You couldn’t go out last night because you had some big plans.  What were they?”

“Oh, uh, I went to see a friend from high school, help her pack up for college and stuff.”

“That’s nice.”

“Yeah.  So, what were you doing here?” 

“Oh, I just got out of a class.”

“Oh.  So when’s your next one?”

He looked at his watch.  “Um, in about an hour and a half.  Want to go to the cafeteria and get some lunch?”

I pulled into a parking lot suddenly and smiled.  “Way ahead of you.”  We walked up to the doors, hand in hand, and went over to the line and went through it, getting as much food as we could, planning to save them in our rooms for the next few days, to get as much as we could for our lunch cards.  A nice trick I learned from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

After getting our food, we went and sat at an empty table big enough for five people, and talked for a while.  Eventually, he looked down at his watch.  “Oh, crap.  Hey, I have half an hour to get back to my dorm and to my next class.  Think we could carry on this conversation tonight at dinner?”

“We’re going to dinner again?”

“If you want to.”

“Okay.  I’ll be ready at six.”  He bent down to kiss me on the cheek and then on the lips quickly and smiled.  “Perfect.  See you.”  And then he walked away.

“So, a date with Caleb?  Again?”  I turned around to see Katie in the chair next to me where Caleb had been.

“Yeah.”

“That’s every night for a week almost.”

“Well, there was Friday with the orientation.”

“Yeah, but you did talk to him.”

“True.”

I was in my dorm after my other classes, getting ready, when Katie stopped by to pick out an outfit for me like she always tried to do.

“Hey, where’s you get this t-shirt?”

“What t-shirt?”

“The one over here on your desk.”

“Oh, Um, long story.  Nothing interesting, just hanging out with Carly a while ago, one of her friends gave it to me.”

“Why?”

“I told you.  Long story.”

“Okay.  Um, you should wear, red!  How about your black pencil skirt,” she pulled out a black skirt from my closet, “And your Red shirt?”

She pulled out a red short sleeved shirt with that weird neckline that I can’t really describe, except maybe droopy.  (picture to come)

I smiled.  It would work.  I took the clothes and she turned around, probably planning how to do my hair, while I put the outfit on.

“Look, Katie, I think I can do my own hair and makeup.  You just talk to me or something.”

I sat down in front of the mirror and brushed my hair out.  I decided to just put it up in a hair ponytail, leaving a few curls down in front.

“Do you think this outfit is a little too nice?”

“Well, he didn’t say where you were going, so that’s perfect.  The skirt is cotton, so it’s almost casual.”

I put on some ruby red lipstick and left my eyes plain without any makeup.

It was a few minutes before six when I was done, so I went over and sat on my bed while Katie talked to me.

“So, you really like Caleb, don’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“You look really tired.  You okay?”

“I do?  I’m fine.  I guess I just didn’t sleep well last night,”

“Where’s Gina?”

“At class I think.  Maybe your dad put her to work today.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

Suddenly, there was a knock on my door and so I went and opened it to see Caleb standing in my doorway.  “You look great.”

“Thanks, you too.”  I could feel my cheeks going red and I grabbed my clutch off of the desk before we left.

We went downstairs and got in his car and he drove off.

“Where are we going,” I asked after a minute.

“Um, do you like Mexican food?”

“Yeah.  Who doesn’t?”

“Crazy people.”

“Right.”

He drove us to a nice Mexican restaurant I’ve been to a few times with Katie and her family, Chevy’s.  We used to go there every year for our birthdays, leaving Luke at home.

“I love this place.”

“You’ve been here?”

“Yeah.  A few times.  For birthdays and stuff years ago.”

“Oh.”

We walked in and I thought maybe he was a little disappointed that it wasn’t like Saturday night, where he showed me a new place.

“I really do like this place.”  I kissed him on the cheek and we walked behind the lady seating us, with his arm around my shoulders.

That night, our goodbye went by quicker than the others, with a long kiss, and a “see you tomorrow,” from both of us.  With that, he left and I walked into my room to see it was dark.  I flicked on the light to see if Gina was in bed, and saw something that scared me to death.

A pretty blond girl was sitting on Gina’s bed, holding her by the neck.  Gina looked terrified and I saw tears rolling down her eyes.

“Hi, you must be Lainey.  The sister.”

[A/N:  sorry it’s so short, but I couldn’t resist ending with so much suspense!  Who’s this blond girl?  What does she want?  What does she mean by ‘the sister’?  So many questions!  I will update soon!  I can’t believe I have 30 chapters already!  Like and comment!  Send me messages if you want!  I want to talk to someone!]