Chapter three

It was Monday.  I had gotten a lot of sleep over the weekend so I wasn’t tired, but I still didn’t like having to get out of bed to go to work.  I took an hour getting ready, taking my time in the shower and blow drying my hair.  I threw on my uniform t-shirt, which was a red polo.

I ran downstairs and grabbed a pop tart to eat in the car, then grabbed my keys and went to my car.  My shift wasn’t supposed to start for an hour, but there’s fifteen minutes drive time and I could use a little extra overtime money.

When I got to work I saw that Katie had the same idea.  Since the store wasn’t open for half an hour she was sweeping the store floors.  I took out the trash and made sure we had the receipt printing paper stuff.  We always did these odd jobs when we came in before we were open.

A few minutes before we opened officially, a ding rang through the store, meaning someone was walking in.  I looked up, expecting to see Mr. Goldman, but instead saw a guy walk in.  Katie stood up straighter and I could tell why.  He was cute, even if I wasn’t interested.  He had dark hair and a green eyes.

“Um, excuse me, but we’re closed.”

He looked at his watch.  “Don’t you open at nine?”  I looked at my own watch and felt instantly stupid.  It was nine fifteen.

“Oh, right, I’m sorry.  Is there anything you need help finding?”

He shook his head and walked to the other side of the store and came back a moment later with a laptop and a few books.  “I did some research.  This computer is supposed to be really nice, right?”

I nodded.  “Yeah, I have one just like it.  It works really well.”  He handed it to me and I rang up all his stuff.  He used a credit card and I gave him his things.

“Thank you, Elaine.”  For a second I wondered how he knew my name, but then I remembered that I had a nametag on.

I looked at the screen with his credit card information and read his name.  “Thank you, Kyle.”

He smiled and Katie came over and held out his hand for him to shake it.  “Hi!  I’m Katie!”  he smiled and shook her hand.

“So you girls go to school here, or do you just work here?”

“We’re starting in the fall semester.”  Katie was taking over the conversation so I went over to make sure the isles were organized.

When I heard the ding again I looked to see if he had just left, or if Mr. Goldman had walked in.  it was both, so I walked back to the register to meet him.

“We came in half an hour early, daddy.  And we cleaned up a bit.”

“Right, right, so then why does the sign still say closed?”  Without a word I ran to the door and flipped the sign.

“What are you talking about, sir?  It sys open.”  I winked at Katie and we burst into laughter.  Mr. Goldman stepped into his office and got to work with whatever.  She smiled and sat up on the counter next to the register.  “So, what did you think of Kyle?  He was super hot, don’t you think!”

I nodded.  “I guess.  He just isn’t my type.”

She frowned.  “And what is your type Lainey?  A douche bag that didn’t even bother to call you!  Get over him!”

I stared at her, fighting tears.  “You promised you’d never even bring him up again!”

She looked frozen in place, no remorse on her face.  I walked away, letting her take over the register.  I walked to the store room and started opening boxes to unload.