Chapter seven

Kyle grabbed my wrist and at first I thought he was leaning in to kiss me, but then he started pulling me back to the door.  I fought to free my arm, but he wouldn’t let go.  Tears sprung to my eyes as the realization sunk in that I was so close, but it didn’t matter, because in the end, I failed.

                When we got to the car, Kyle opened my door and I sighed in resignation.  I sat down and buckled my own seatbelt, and before I knew it, Kyle was back on the road.  We drove in silence, not even turning on any music.

                I looked out the window, pretending that the trees were moving, and that the car was still in the road, and I wasn’t going back to that Hell house.

                But like all dreams, this one didn’t come true.

                I made sure to watch street signs this time though, hoping that I would find something telling me what town we were in, but unfortunately, all I got were street names.  In about twenty five minutes we turned onto Water Spring Drive, and were at the old country house in five minutes, which I noticed didn’t even have a street number.  I walked inside without Kyle grabbing my arm or anything.  When I walked through the door a wonderful smell attacked my nostrils (I know, what a picture.) and Kyle called out that we were back.  Jessica came running up to me and gave my legs a huge hug.  It was strange how she was the best thing about my day.

I bent down and returned the embrace.  “Lainey, where did you go?  I woke up from naptime and you weren’t there!  Irena said you and Mommy were at the store, but Mommy came home without you and….”  She kept babbling on and on while I wondered who Irena was.

Kyle seemed to read my mind, because he answered, “Irena’s Jessica’s friend’s mom.  We have a bunch of werewolf families living here.  This is a pack house.”

So that was why there were all those people at the door to greet me.  “So where are all the kids?”

“They all went to the mall for their back to school shopping.  And speaking of shopping, Mother!”

He went to the kitchen to find Mrs. Wolf, probably to yell at her for taking me shopping.  Jessica grabbed my hand and pulled me up to her room.  “What do you want to play?  We can play dolls, or have another tea party!  Or you could read me more books!”

I thought back to my childhood and remembered when I was about her age, my parents got a babysitter for me and Luke, and we had a small dance party in my bedroom.  I smiled at the memory and then added onto that idea.

If I could get hold of a computer, maybe I could find the address to this house, and I could get onto facebook or my email and tell someone to come save me.

“Jessica, why don’t we play dance party?”

She looked at me with a bright smile.  “Yeah!  I want to play dance party!”

“Okay, but I need a computer so I can play music.”

She ran out of the room without a word and came back a few minutes later without a computer in sight.  “Kyle says you can’t use a computer unless he’s watching you.  Boys are so silly!”

I sighed.  “Well, why don’t I go find something to use?  I’ll be back in a few minutes.”  I went down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Kyle and his mother looking at each other like they were trying to yell at each other with their eyes.

“Kyle, why can’t I use a computer?  We need youtube for something.”

“You can use a computer.  Just not without me making sure you don’t try to get help.  And speaking of…”  he smiled, “I know you have that phone.”