Chapter Twenty-six

Chapter 26

I was wearing my work uniform, but I had white shorts and a black and white diagonal striped tank top underneath it.

When my shift ended, I ran into Mr. Goldman’s office (which was empty) and stripped off my uniform, leaving just the cute clothes.

I hoped he wasn’t taking me anywhere fancy.  I would be totally underdressed.

When he walked through the doors, Katie turned to go sweep up the isles, but I knew she’d be listening and watching.

“Hey.”

He smiled.  “Hey.”  He kissed me once on the cheek and then once on the lips.  “You ready to get out of here?”

I nodded.  “Yeah.”  I yelled over to Katie, “Hey, lock up tonight, will you?”

“Yeah.  You guys have fun, and uh, Caleb, have her back by midnight.”

He laughed.  “Will do, Ma’am.”

I left my car keys on the counter and we walked out of the store hand in hand.  I got in his car.  “So you’re not going to tell me where you’re taking me?”

He laughed.  “I’m afraid not.”

“You know, you’re just lucky I love surprises.”

He smiled in the driver’s seat as he pulled the seat belt over his face.  “Lucky in deed.”

We drove for a while and finally, Caleb stopped the car outside of a little café.  He walked around the car and opened my door for me, offering me his hand as I got out.  “Where are we?”  There was a little café with an outdoor seating area right in front of us, and as I looked around, I saw we were at the top of a hill.

“We are not in Kansas anymore.”

He walked me to the waiting area and sat down after informing an old lady we were there for our reservation.  I know, weird, right?  What kind of coffee shop has reservations?  Especially when there aren’t many pople there?  We were sat at a small round table across from one another.

“Okay, what’s the deal?”

He looked confused.  “You’re really slow.  It’s six thirty, we’re at a high elevation.  This is the best view in town for the sunset.  Now order some coffee.”

Just then, a young Asian girl came over and asked for our orders.

Crap!  I didn’t know what he wanted, so I couldn’t order cheaper than him.  I looked over the menu card thingy and just ordered an espresso.  He asked for the same, and the girl left.

We sat and talked for a while, until he told me to turn around.  I did as told and saw one of the most beautiful things ever.

The sun was starting to set, so the sky was all sorts of colors; Pink, orange, yellow, blue, purple.  They were all swirling together to make a kaleidoscope of amazingness.

“It’s Beautiful.”

He smiled when I turned around to face him.  “I figured it may not be able to compare to you, but I thought you’d like it.”

I blushed and tried to turn back around to watch the sunset to hide it.

“Come on, I’m sure you get that all the time.”

I turned around.  Apparently I wasn’t going to be able to hide my lack of dating experience anymore.

“Actually. I never have before.  No guy has ever called me pretty, or asked me out, or kissed me, or anything, before.”  He looked at me shocked.  “I’ve never had a boyfriend before.”