Chapter five

Kyle led me through the front door.  The house was beautiful.  It wasn’t as big or fancy as my house, but maybe that was why I liked it so much.  It was cozy.  There were a lot of people in the entry hallway.  One woman who looked to be about forty years old came out of a room on the left side of the hallway and rushed over to Kyle.

                “Kyle!  How has college been?”  then she turned to me.  “Oh, and you must be Lainey!  Welcome to the family!”

                Kyle looked a little embarrassed.  “Hi, Mom.”  He shot her a look that I didn’t quite understand, but I felt a little too weird to focus on that.

I was confused.  “Um, you can just call me Elaine.  And what do you mean welcome to the family?”

                “Well, Elaine, of course you’ll be a part of this family soon, won’t you be dear?”  she giggled a little bit to herself and all I could think was she’s crazy!  Kyle’s crazy, his mom’s crazy, I bet his dad is a total lunatic!

                I was feeling a little uncomfortable.  “Um, excuse me ma’am, but I think there’s just been a huge misunderstanding.  Look, you seem really nice, but if it’s all the same to you, I just really want to go home.  Now.”  I added that cautiously.  The last thing I wanted was for a bunch of psycho werewolves to turn against me, and I was pretty sure that they wanted me here, whether I wanted that or not.

                Kyle looked at me.  “Look, Lainey-“

                “Don’t call me that like we’re friends!  We are not friends!  You frickin kidnapped me!”

                Ignoring me, he continued.  “Lainey, I can’t let you leave.  There’s something there that you don’t know about.  Something bad.”

                I stared at him, refusing to believe he expected me to stay here any longer.  “Like what?  Silver knives?  I’m not scared of the big bad wolf, Kyle!”

“And that’s great!  But we aren’t talking about a wolf here!  When I was in your house I got a smell of it.  There was a slight vampire stench.  One had been in there in the last few year, more than once.  That, and you haven’t cleaned much since the vamp was in your house, or at least you missed the areas where he was.”

I was getting tired of these games.  “He?  What if it was a girl vamp?  Or hey, what if it was a human?  Didn’t think of that, did ya?  Whatever you smelled, I don’t think it was a vampire!  So just let me go home!”

I tried to turn towards the door to leave when Kyle grabbed my hand.  “Let go of me.”  I whispered it simply, and calmly.  I looked up into his emerald eyes and repeated myself, a lot louder this time.  “I said, let go of me!”  he still wouldn’t move, so this time I screamed and tried to fight out of his grasp.  “Let go!  Let go of me!”  Tears started brimming in my eyes and he saw that.

I calmed down again and whispered again.  “Let go of my arm.  Please, Kyle.”

He sighed and loosened the grip a little, and only then did I realize it was hurting my arm because his grip was so strong.  I tried to pull my arm away but he wouldn’t let me.  “I’m sorry, Lainey, but you can’t go home yet.”

He let go of my arm, but kept his hand close to it so that if I tried to run, he could stop me in a fraction of a second.  His mom, who had just been standing by watching us, spoke for the first time in a few minutes.  “Who’s hungry?”

And as if on cue, my stomach growled loudly.  They laughed a little and I just stood there, contemplating my escape from these maniacs.  Mrs. Wolf started leading us to the kitchen, not that I wanted to follow, and got out the stuff to make sandwiches.  She started asking Kyle questions about random stuff like college lie and friends.  I couldn’t really keep up, but I smiled every time she looked at me.