Chapter fourteen

“Luke!  You’re back!  I can’t believe it!”

                He laughed again at my reaction.  “You know, Katie responded more calmly, and You’ve known I was safe.  I don’t know what to do with you, Lainey.”  He nodded his head and made a tsk noise with his tongue.

                “Well Katie isn’t your sister!  Now what did you do to your hair?”

                “What are you…” he began but stopped.  “I cut it.  I think I look older, don’t you?”

                I laughed.  “Dork.”

                “Loser.”

                “Weirdo.”

                “Freak.”

                And that was our relationship.  We insulted each other on a daily basis, even if there was no reason.  “Moron.”

                “Nerd.”

                “Smelly baboon.”

                He opened his mouth to reply but shut it again.  “I really don’t know how to respond to that, sis.”

                I laughed.  “No comeback?  That’s a first.”

                “No there was that one time I gave up.”

                “But we all know you were thinking one.”

                He laughed and looked around the room.  “Nice job with this place.  It looks awesome.”  He continued looking around and his eyes stopped on something in the slight distance.  “Hey, I have to go find Katie.  I’ll talk to you later?”

                I nodded.  “See ya around, bro.”

                He took off a lot faster than I remembered him being.  He probably just worked out a lot in Chile.  He did feel a little stronger when he hugged me.

                I walked around the dance floor, talking to anyone I knew by name.

                “Hey, Lainey, what’s up?”

                “Hey, girl!  How are you?”

                “Hey, I haven’t seen you in months!  How’s your summer?”

                I mingled like normal person, dancing a bit, until I looked at the door and saw a familiar head with dark hair and green eyes.  I walked over to him and started talking.

                “I thought you weren’t coming!”  I had to yell in order to be heard over the music.

                “I said maybe, not no.”

                “Well you didn’t say yes.  You’re really supposed to let me know about that sort of thing.”

                “You’re right.”  He got out his phone and flipped it open.  “What’s your number?”

                “No, not that easy buddy.”

                He laughed.  “Okay then, how about this?  I lost my phone number.  Can I have yours?”