Chapter Twenty-seven

Chapter 27

Luckily, this time I was granted a quiet sleep, not dreaming at all.  When I woke up the next morning, it wasn’t really the morning anymore.  In fact, it was one o’five in the afternoon.  I checked my phone and when I saw there were no missed calls or texts, I got up.

I didn’t know how I had slept in so late, but I was still pretty tired.  I went to my closet and got out a huge pink t shirt with a breast cancer ribbon on the front that was two sizes too big for me, and then some old light wash jeans.  I obviously wasn’t in the mood to try to look good today.

I walked out the room and up the stairs to the lounge to get coffee.  When I got there, I saw that Katie was already watching tv.  “Hey, Lainey.  How was your date last night?”  she got off the couch and walked over to me, taking in my outfit and face.  “Oh my gosh you look like crap!”

“Yeah, bad dream.  Last night was great, though.”  I filled her in on the date the night before and she smiled at all the appropriate places.

“Aw!  He almost spilled coffee for you.  That’s so sweet.”

I laughed.  “You’re such a dork.”  I walked over and ordered my regular coffee order and we went over to the study area to talk for a while, since no one was over there.

“So, you said you had a bad dream?”

I winced.  “Yeah.  It wasn’t big or anything.”  I didn’t want to go into details, because if she knew that Kyle was in it, she’d freak, saying that it meant we were meant to be together or something.

“You’re not gonna share any details?”  I shook my head and she just looked down at her coffee.  “Okay.  That’s fine.  I mean, it’s not like I’m your best friend or anything.”  She had tinted her voice with a bit of sarcasm, and I suddenly felt a little guilty, but it wasn’t a big deal.

What was a big deal, though, was what I suddenly remembered.  “Crap.”  I muttered a few choice words at myself so quietly Katie didn’t seem to notice.  Why had I decided to meet with him?  I wanted to cancel, but knew it was too late.

I had to think of something to tell Katie for when I went to meet Kyle tonight.  Suddenly, I got a text from Caleb and smiled.  Question answered.  I clicked on open text and read, hi.

“Oh, hey, it’s Caleb.  I think we’re going out again tonight.”

One thing down, now I had to think of a story for Caleb.  He probably would want to do something tonight.  I looked at Katie and saw that she bought it, so I hit reply on my phone and typed:

Hey, im busy 2nite, so i cant do anything.

I hit send and smiled as I looked up at Katie.  A second later I got a reply saying:

L ok.  C u 2morro then?

I replied a quick yes and then got back to the conversation with Katie.  “He’s picking me up at four-thirty and I can get ready on my own this time.”

She frowned.  “Fine.  Where’s he taking you?  Another surprise?”

I shook my head, trying to think quickly.  “Um, no, we’re just going to dinner.  He had to get early reservations.”  I hoped she’d buy it, and was really relieved when she nodded and picked up her coffee to drink it.

At four-thirty that night, I was dressed in a pale pink blouse and nice white pants so that if Katie saw me walking down the hall, I could cover and say I saw his car out the window and am just going down to meet him.  I hoped she wouldn’t notice that my car was gone tonight.