Chapter twelve

I sat on the couch flipping through channels when Mr. Goldman walked into the room.

                “Lainey, why don’t you go out or something?  You can go back to your house and pick up the mess from the robbery.  I’ll go with you if you don’t feel safe.”

                I shook my head.  “No thank you, Sir.  I just want to wait for Katie to get back.  She left a while ago, so she should be home soon.”

                “Okay.  By the way, where did you say she was again?”  Of course we couldn’t tell him where Katie had really gone.  Katie’s parents are a little overprotective, so they wouldn’t have been thrilled about her going to see someone who had been arrested and fallen off the face of the planet, even if they used to love him almost as much as she did.

                “She had to go get her journal from the shop.  She left it there today.  And then she had to stop by a friend’s house to get a book.”

                “Well why didn’t she take you with her?”

                “She wants to hurry and that would be a little hard with my injury.  Besides, I think she wants to be alone, think some things through.”

                “Well okay then.  Let me know when she is on her way back if she calls.”  He walked away, which wasn’t surprising.  Once you mention thinking things through, or girl problems, he leaves.

                “I sure will,” I called over my shoulder and continued flipping through channels until I finally decided on an episode of America’s funniest Home Videos that looked semi-interesting, but after twenty people falling off of things, I got bored and turned it off.

                It was 8pm Wednesday night and I was waiting at Katie’s house for her to get back from meeting my brother.  I had considered going with her, but then Kyle would have to come, and I would have to make up a story for why I’m bringing him along, and besides, it was her night with him.  I’d see him later.

                I went to get some food from the kitchen and a few minutes later, Katie walked through the door.

                “Lainey?  I’m back!”

“In the Living room!”

                She was right next to me in a few seconds.  “How was it?  What did he say?”

She smiled.

“He told me where he’s been the last few years.  Chile, can you believe that?  He said he was helping at an orphanage a lot.  He said he didn’t just leave because of the arrest.  He said he left to find himself.  I quote, ‘I left because I didn’t know who I was lately.  But after a year, I still hadn’t found it.  But now, I realize I always had what I was looking for.  I found my home the day I met you.’”

I laughed.  “That’s so Luke!  Leave for a year, then sweet talk his way back into their hearts.”

She laughed.  “You think?  I thought he was actually sincere.  Anyway, I’m not sure what’s going to happen next, but he’s coming to the party on Friday.  By the way, he looks really different.  Kinda hotter.”

I stck my fingers in my ears.  “Lalalalala I’m not listening!”  I hated hearing Katie talk about my brother like that.  Anyone would, right?  It was weird.  But I did like them together.  “Seriously, date my brother, make out with my brother, just don’t tell me about it!”