Chapter 12

*Kayla's POV*

"I need to speak to the chief please. I have Kayla Lotson with me."

I kept my head down as Paul spoke to the guard at the police station. He brought me here while the lads were all at their little interview. I don't know much about what they do, so I don't know what they're doing, exactly. All I know is that Paul is helping me get my father locked up, and that is all that matters.

The guard led us to a small room which was all grey. It had a long table and three chairs around it, two on one side and a single chair on the other, which I'm guessing is where the chief was going to sit.

"Sit down. He'll be here shortly." The guard gestured towards the two chairs. Paul nodded and put his hand on my back, leading me to the chairs. I sat in the on closest to the wall, with Paul beside me.

Shortly after the guard had left, the door opens. A man in a police uniform came through the door. He walked over to the table briskly, sticking his hand out for Paul to shake.

"Chief Connelly. You are?" he asked. Paul shook his hand.

"Paul Higgins. This is Kayla Lotson." He pointed over towards me. The chief stuck his hand out to me in a quick motion, making me flinch backwards, throwing my arms up to shield my face. He slowly brought his hand back to his side, looking at me questionably.

"What-?"

"We're here for that reason, Mr. Connelly. You see, a few of my clients ran into Kayla about two days ago, while she was running away." Paul started to explain. I slowly lowered my arms from in front of my face, being cautious as I did so.

"We haven't gotten a call about a missing child?"

"Kayla's father wouldn't call about her."

"And why not?"

Paul handed me a notepad and pen. The chief looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

'He only wants me to be a slave to him. And a punchingbag,' I wrote. The chief looked at it and nodded his head.

"Are you saying that your father abuses you?" I simply nodded. "Do you have any evidence?"

I pulled up the sleeves of my blazer, to my elbows. The bruises and scratches on my arm were completely visible. The bruises were turning a sick green/yellow color and the scratches were scabbed over, except the large gashes, which were now cleaned, thanks to Lou. The chief's eyes widened as he looked at my arm.

"May I?" he asked. I slowly nodded. He came up and turned my arm around, looking at all the markings. He gasped slightly as he looked at the latest gash in my arm. "Your father did this to you?" I nodded. "We need to get him taken care of. What's his name? Address? Phone number?"

I gave him all the information he asked for, writing it all down. He simply copied it down and nodded his head. He asked my backstory, which I told him as well.

"Okay. That's everything we need to know to have him locked up. Now all we have to do is figure out what to do with you." He turned to Paul. "Thank you so much for bringing her here. We'll take her to a foster home from here."

"Actually!" Paul interrupted as the chief motioned the guard in. "I know someone who would be more than willing to take her in as her legal guardian."

"And who might that be?"

"My cl-"

Paul was cut off by the door bursting open, Liam running in, panting heavily.

"ME! Me. I'd like to become Kayla's guardian."