Vampire. Human. Well, what am I?! (20)

Chapter 20

As soon as I thought the pain was gone, I opened my eyes and said, "That was one hell of a headache." The people surrounding me looked at me in shock. I guess it was because I had been dead and now I was sitting up and talking to them... but I still felt a little self-conscious under their stares. "What are you guys staring at?" I asked.

"You were dead!" Jason exclaimed. "You had no pulse!"

"I'm a vampire Jase. That happens sometimes." I nearly laughed at the grimace my response put on his face.

"You're half human. You should have a pulse and you know that." William sounded serious, but you could tell that he was thrilled that I was still alive.

"Well, excuse me for trying to brighten the mood mister grumpy." I pouted.

Luke, who'd been totally silent since I'd waken up, still looked shocked. Suddenly, he looked at me with desperation in his eyes and jumped up, slamming his lips hard on mine.

He was kissing me. In front of everyone. And I loved it. I wanted to kiss him back so badly, but I knew what would happen if I did. My mind flashed back to my little meeting with Jeremy and I immediately shoved Luke away. I was supposed to hate him. I yelled, "What the fuck Luke!" God, I hated myself at that moment as his face scrunched up in confusion and then shock and then hurt.

He turned his face away and I could tell that his gaze was met by many disapproving- and some angry- stares, just by the way his body stiffened. "Excuse me." he muttered hurriedly under his breath. He nearly ran out of the room and I wanted so badly to chase after him and kiss him again. Just as Luke passed the front door there was a knock. He looked at the door for a second before looking back at me and shaking his head; he didn't open the door and continued down the hallway.

I don't know how, but I knew it was Jeremy and I tried to get up as fast as possible. When I was on my feet, I paused for a moment because something just didn't feel right. I looked down at my stomach and leg and pulled up my shirt revealing a blemish free stomach. I would have checked my leg too, but that would require me to pull down my pants and that wasn't an option. From what I saw on my stomach, all my wounds were healed. Apparently that chip in my skull wasn't all bad. I remembered suddenly the scratches on my forehead and curiosity overtook me. I reached my fingers up and slid them across an equally clear forehead. Maybe that was one of the reasons why the group had looked at me so funny.

Lost in my own thoughts, I didn't notice that William was already making his way to the door. When I did notice, I ran to catch up with him. By that time, he was only a foot from the door and I didn't make it in time. I skidded to a stop next to him as he pulled the door open and I had a first row view of the shock and hatred on his face when he saw who it was. Jeremy stepped into the house wearing the same outfit that I'd seen him in only moments before. Before I could stop him, William strode up to Jeremy and snapped his neck like a twig. Jeremy instantly crumpled to the ground in a heap and a sense of dread overwhelmed me. So much for the plan.

William looked down at Jeremy's still form and disgust showed clearly on his face. He jumped- literally- two feet in the air when Jeremy moved. Jeremy jerked his neck to the side, snapping it back into place. He then rose slowly to his feet and smirked at William's dumbstruck expression. "What's the matter William?" He sneered, "Did you forget what a vampire looks like?" At the word 'vampire' William's eyes went wide.

"You're a vampire?" He exclaimed a little bit louder than necessary. The rest of the group looked up at us in surprise and when they saw Jeremy, they were all by our sides in a second.