Vampire. Human. Well, what am I!? (4)

Vampire. Human. Well, what am I?

Chapter 4

Sitting.

Waiting.

Praying.

Hoping. Wishing. Worrying. Standing. Pacing.

Sitting.

Waiting.

Praying.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nine days. I waited nine days for him to wake up. Each day when his eyes stayed closed, I lost a little piece of my sanity. I wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, I wouldn't even speak. I felt as though if he stayed comatose, so would I.

All this for a human. All this for a human stranger!

I could have saved myself trouble and pain if I'd of just left him there, at that god forsaken warehouse. It killed me watching him die. He was already half dead.

On the tenth day I stood and left the room. His room. Luke's room. Well it used to be my room, but I couldn't sleep anyway, so why not let him have it.. I went downstairs, to the kitchen. I knew I would find William there. I was right.

I turned on the charm. "William, Please." I started, "Please, is there anything I can do. He's been asleep for such a long time!"

"Nine days isn't very long for a coma, Meg. Just be patient." He answered me calmly.

"Fine." I pouted, stomping back up to my- I mean- Luke's room. I plopped myself back down on the corner of my bed. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to hate this boy. This boy that had caused so much trouble. I stared at his beautiful face, and all I could think about was how much I wanted to have him wake up.

"Please, Luke. Please, wake up." I whispered into his ear.

And that's when it happened. I screamed.

Luke's body arched up into the air, and he convulsed. I screamed again as his eyes shot open and looked around without seeing. Blood began to cover him again as he ripped his stitches.

William came running at the sound of my scream, and he shoved me out of the way. I felt woozy, which is rare for a vampire, and off balance so I toppled and hit my head on the wall.

I jumped up. Staring in horror as William tried frantically to stop the bleeding. My throat burned. Moments later I stopped trying to see what was happening and just sat in the corner. I cried. Eventually I fell asleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Later that day, I woke up in my brothers bed. Alone. I sat up and looked around. I had to assume that my brother was at some club or another. Jason always did love the nightlife. I laughed at an inside joke he and I always had.

There was a gentle knock on the door, and- wouldn't you know it?- Jason walked in. He was my real brother. My blood brother. Although we looked nothing alike.

Don't get me wrong, we had the same dirty blond hair, and grayish-green eyes, and pale complexion, but he looked like he was 29 instead of 17 as he was supposed to look. Brothers, what are you to do?

"Hey," he said solemnly. "William wants to talk to you." I bolted up and ran out the door before even saying thanks.

When I reached my bedroom I was panting with panic. "What, what's wrong?" I asked with anxiety.

"He's not in good shape." He said. "Probably has a few hours left I'd say."

An idea hit me hard. "Can you turn him?" I asked, my hopes suddenly rising.

"No," he said flatly, popping my hopes like balloons. "He's to close to death."

"Well, can we turn him into something else? I mean we exist why can't werewolves or fairies or- or..." I trailed off trying to think of other magical things. "Please."

William just stared at me for a long time. Then, seeing how much it meant to me he nodded. "Fine," He said. "There is something, but it hasn't been done in thousands of years. We are a very selfish creatures, and this change requires a sacrifice most aren't willing to make."

"What?" I asked quietly.

"Half of your immortal life."

[Duh, Duh, Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... Didn't see that comin' did ya'? COMMENT!]