Chapter 27

Jake's POV

Brooklynn is coming. I know that's pretty obvious, but I feel like I have to tell myself that. Kaitlynn is in the backseat of the car, passed out. She passed out in my arms and that's when I knew she was having Brooklynn. 

Doctor Levine told us that she would most likely pass out due to the amount of blood loss, which after I caught her she was bleeding really bad. I haven't told anyone yet because I'm just trying to get my wife and our unborn daughter to the hospital in time to save both of their lives. 

As scared and rushed as I am, I'm trying not to drive crazy and fast because I don't want to get pulled over and waste more time and I also do not want to get in an accident. 

I pull up to the hospital and rush in there with her in my arms. The nurses react quickly when I see them and explain what's going on. They immediately page Doctor Levine and tell me that I have to wait in the waiting room since I can't be in the room with her. 

As much as I want to argue and fight them on it to be with my wife, I don't want to take up any more time. So instead, I go into the bathroom and try to wash the blood from my hands. I try to keep the tears from falling, but I'm not successful. I keep thinking that before Kaitlynn went to the bathroom could have been our last moment and I don't want that at all. I can't lose my gorgeous, kind-hearted, caring wife. 

I call everyone and tell them what's going on. I ask Brian to go by our apartment and grab our hospital bag and the diaper bag, as well as a change of clothes for me since I have the blood on mine. 

They all get here as fast as they can and give me hugs. Everyone is in tears, as well as me, because this is the day we have all been waiting for, but also terrified for. 

When Brian gets here, I excuse myself to go change quickly before coming back. Natalie and Brian went to the cafeteria to get coffee for all of us and the rest of us just sit around, waiting to find out the verdict. 

Kaitlynn's grandparents got in a few weeks ago, as well as my grandparents. I am incredibly grateful for all of the support that I am getting with this. I know that if Kaitlynn does go, I will have so many people willing to help me. And as selfish as this may seem, I don't want anyone else. I want my beautiful wife and my soon to be daughter to be there for me. 

They brought some cards for us to play while we are waiting, and I'm grateful for that. I need to be there for Kaitlynn, but I also need a distraction. They said it could be hours before we hear anything and I need to keep my mind busy with something else so I don't break down.

Justin walks away after a while and I follow him. I feel like he took it the hardest, besides me, when we told him. Kaitlynn is like his twin. They are so close and it broke her heart to leave him and especially to tell him. 

"Hey bro, you okay?" He asks me when he sees me. 

I take a seat next to him on the bench he is sitting on. "I don't really know at the moment, but are you okay?" 

"Same as you. How bad is it Jake?" 

"It's pretty bad. Brooklynn has a pretty good chance of surviving, but Kaitlynn not so much. Doctor Levine says that her chances of surviving have been going up, but it's still unknown." 

He nods and looks away. "I never got to tell her I loved her the last time I saw her. I was too caught up in that dang game that I couldn't just get up and tell her I loved her. I didn't even give her a hug." 

I can hear the tears in his voice and I see some trickle down his face.

"Justin, it's okay. She's going to be okay." I say, not only for him, but for me also.