Chapter 9

"Okay so let's eat shall we?" My mom says, standing up after a few minutes.

I go in with my sister and mom and help carry things to the table as the others head into the dining room and take a seat at the table.

After the food is brought in, we all sit down and join hands. We say a prayer and then pass the food around the table.

"So how's college?" My mom's mom asks James and Kaylee.

"It's going good. I have straight A's and I'm getting closer to my profession." Kaylee answers.

"That's good." She says back. "What about you James?"

"I'm doing pretty good. I'm keeping my grades up and football is going good." He says.

"That's good, we aren't helping pay for your college for nothing." My grandpa says.

"How have you been doing Kaitlynn?" My other grandma asks and I inwardly sigh, here we go.

"I'm pretty good." I say, looking at the table. "My grades are good and colleges are looking at me."

"That's good. So how come you weren't here when we got here and how come you don't live here anymore?" My other grandpa says.

"Well, funny story." I start.

"We are getting married." Jake says for me. I look at him gratefully.

"Why would you guys live together and get married so early? You two aren't even out of high school yet." My other grandma says.

"Well, I'm kind of pregnant." I say.

"What?" My grandpa says.

"Yes, I'm pregnant. Almost three months. We got a picture today." I tell them, getting my phone out and putting it to the picture, then passing it around.

"Sherynn how are you okay with this?" My mom's mom asks her.

"Mom, there isn't much we can do about it now is there. She is pregnant and she is happy. We aren't going to forbid her from having a child, it's kind of impossible." My mom says back.

"Well you could keep her from seeing this boy sitting right here and send her to a school for pregnant high school girls, since there are definitely plenty of them. How could you just make a huge mistake like this?" My grandpa asks me.

"Okay with all do respect grandpa, this baby is not and will never be a mistake. Sure, we didn't plan for it and definitely didn't want a child in high school, but this was not a mistake. This is a human being inside of me and no human is a mistake. So don't you ever say that this is a mistake. This is your great grandchild, and you're talking about it like that? What kind of great grandparent does that?" I say, getting very angry.

It's silent for a few minutes before my dad's mom speaks up.

"I'm sorry, it's just a surprise to us." She says to me and Jake. "I'm happy for you both, and I'm thankful you two are handling it the way that you are."

"Yes, I'm sorry too. You're right, this baby isn't a mistake, no baby is a mistake. Congrats on the marriage and the baby, you two have a good life waiting for you." My grandpa, the one who called it a mistake, says.

The other two apologize as well and then we kind of start talking about the marriage and baby.

"So you guys already have a house to live in?" My mom's mom asks.

"Well, it's an apartment, but yes we do. It's two bedrooms and not very big, but it was in our price range and is a beautiful home." Jake says.

"We would love to see it while we are in town." She says.